Smith helps land 4-star CB Devin Bush

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 … evin-bush/

Wow! Welcome Mr Bush. What a recruiting class this staff is putting together.

WPS! Great addition. Moving on up in the rankings (Top 10 in Rivals) and on the field.

unbelievable - what are they going to do when we win, top 5 class!!?

I am just so happy for my school. We have been down these past 7 years, but we are on the way back. That is great news. Thank you, Coach Morris and the other coaches. We really appreciate your effort.

Top 10 Rank by Rivals

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019 … s/football

Sounds like brooks could be nxt!!!??? WPS!!

Ranked 5th in SEC according to Rivals.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019 … s/football

Being ranked in the top ten nationally and ranked 5th in the SEC is good to hear. But we haven’t SEEN what most of these players have. Sorry to rain on the parade, but we’ve had plenty of 4 stars and a few 5’s as well over the years. Most haven’t worked out. I want to see what these kids have before I jump up and down and celebrating that we’re back. After so many years of so-called good classes and can’t miss players, I’ll take what recruiting experts, and recruiting websites say with a grain of salt. Don’t get me wrong, I hope these kids are the real deal. But I want to see it first.

[quote=“Lovemyhawgsforever”]

Being ranked in the top ten nationally and ranked 5th in the SEC is good to hear. But we haven’t SEEN what most of these players have. Sorry to rain on the parade, but we’ve had plenty of 4 stars and a few 5’s as well over the years. Most haven’t worked out. I want to see what these kids have before I jump up and down and celebrating that we’re back. After so many years of so-called good classes and can’t miss players, I’ll take what recruiting experts, and recruiting websites say with a grain of salt. Don’t get me wrong, I hope these kids are the real deal. But I want to see it first.

[/quote] I see ur point, but it is very impressive that our coaching staff can still land these top recruits.

Obviously not all highly rated recruits pan out once they start playing college football. But, getting consistently highly rated classes improve your odds in getting some that do. Keep stacking the deck.

I remember Saban’s first year at Alabama, he landed the number one rated class. And, then went something like 8-5 and lost to ULM. But, the following year, things dramatically changed. Not saying CCM is another Saban, but he has the right idea. IMO

So do I…but …it’s better than the fool’s gold of hoping a bunch of unhearlded kids are better than advertised, saying stars don’t matter, etc. That’s been the way for too long as we’ve deluded ourselves in to thinking the experts don’t know what they are talking about.

Correct there are some highly rated recruits that don’t pan out.
But the more you bring in the better your odds.

great point and well put together…I rather have high rated players any day of the week and twice on Sunday…just asked AL, Clem, OHIO State, Notre Damn etc…

Just remember, the good ones will be good as freshmen, but they will be much better as sophomores. …

While Bush does not have a commitable offer to LSU, this is a good pickup. Nobody in his right mind can expect Arkansas to beat LSU for Louisiana kids in good times much less times like this unless there is a strong family connection to the U of A, etc.

That said, Bush is just the kind of kid we need to win our share of battles for - not an A list guy for the in state heavyweight, but someone really on their board with other SEC or legit P5 options. Too many times in the past we’ve taken marginal kids with truthfully very few if any other P5 opportunities.

This class has far fewer reaches than classes of the the past.

I live in NOLA, and I had an Uber the other night with a guy who’s son plays on Edna Karr. After talking to him it sounded as if Bush did have a legit offer to LSU, but when they had a cb commit before him (that corner is now decommitted and headed to a&m) they told Bush they were full. That in return lead to hard feelings between the two, and just from a short scroll in Bush’s twitter I could see that there might be some love lost between the two, and it’s a little to late on each side. He’s a stud, absolute stud, and plays on the best team in the state. We need more like him.

That’s right - he had an offer but someone committed ahead of him and thus the offer on the table became uncommittable.

Agree it’s a really good pick up. The kind of aggressive, opportunistic recruiting we have to have. A little like Caldwell picking the phone up as soon as Saban told Philon Bama was full.

Agree.

Just sometime, there’s a difference between a true uncommittable offer, and the class just filling up too quick.

He’s got a chance to play from day 1, he’s the best dB recruit we have right now, would be second to catalon if we could grab him, but he’s going to make an impact. He plays against future NFL players every week.

I agree with a lot of the posts on this thread…the more 4 star (and highly rated 3’s that could be 4’s) players we land in a year the better chance the majority outweigh a few who don’t pan out. If that is the case then this team over time has a solid change of becoming increasingly better and on a consistent basis. What this staff and 2019 recruits are doing now is amazing and can only bode well for the future one would think. These kids seem to already have a solid bond and haven’t even gotten to school yet and seem to already be recruiting for the 2020 class as well. The future looks very bright and thrilled what this staff is doing.