Signing class

Where do you think signing class will rank after the draft now? Safe to assume all 3 signees are gone?

I would assume so. Not sure about ranking, but I’m glad to see there were no real surprises. I think getting Wohlgemuth to school is huge.

Isn’t the Canadian kid sophomore eligible? Could be in our favor if they don’t wanna show him the money.

I think it will be a top five class. Wohlgemuth, Wallace, Wiggins, Brooks and Griffin are strong anchors.

1 Like

SEC is going to be an even stronger meat grinder next couple of years. I think they could have 6 of the top 10 to start the season, unreal.

It’s still a fantastic class. They probably needed a player or two from the class to sign. They needed some wiggle room for scholarships. It looks like the NCAA gave everyone some scholarship wiggle room by letting them split them in smaller chunks but I have not seen that they budged on the 11.7 total number of money.

And, it’s not just for what they can award this year. You need money for future years, too. They commitment list going forward is outstanding. You need some scholarships for those guys down the road.

I so wish the NCAA would up the number of scholies. Any increase would be nice, but sure seems to me it should be at least 15-18.

Obviously, some schools like Arkansas would like that. Other smaller schools would hate it. They know that the top schools would keep most of the best players. The rich would get richer.

But it sure seems like for a major sport like baseball, 11.7 is not enough.

The scholarship issue is why I think we’ll see Division I break into subdivisions in baseball like it has done in football. There are schools that do not fund 11.7 scholarships now. I’ve heard of SWAC programs that cap their baseball scholarships at eight.

Some day baseball’s major teams will win out on the scholarship limit. There will have to be scholarships added to women’s sports to satisfy Title IX proportionality, but the major programs will be able to fund that, and the ones who don’t want to will cut baseball or be non-competitive.

I think the coming long-term changes to the draft and minor league baseball might spur the scholarship issue along.

It’s what’s best for these players, hope it happens sooner than later

They’re not going to approve more scholarships for baseball or anything else at a time when sports are being dropped left and right because of the pandemic and the resulting loss of revenue. Nobody in the Power Five has dropped any sports. Yet. But I suspect it’s coming.

1 Like

Aloha,

What is more important, who wins how many championships or increasing the ability of students to attend college which may not be possible without an athletic scholarship?

IMHO, greater amount of scholarships for the students is vastly more important than being worried about which conferences have the better athletes.

It seems to me totally unfair to the students to be rationed out among the universities by the enforcement of an absurd low number of available scholarships. If I had the financial means, I would most definitely explore all legal options against the NCAA to increase the availability of athletic scholarships. Most especially for the non-football/basketball sports.

Classify conferences based upon the number of athletic scholarships they can afford. But by no means continue the current enslavement of students by the use of artificially low athletic scholarship limits for the non-football/basketball sports.

I wish the ADs of the Power Five schools would make this a priority. Instead, they appear content to prioritize their $$$$ into obscene coaches salaries and facilities. I am all in for decent facilities and appropriate salaries. However, I’m against these mega multi-million dollar salaries, bloated admin staffs and excessively over the top facilities at the expense of athletic scholarships.

GHG!

I agree Guy, but I feel that collegiate athletics in general long since has changed from an opportunity for a young person to obtain a college education to the lowest level possible, which is purely to make money. How many 5 star high school kids are concerned about getting an education?

Read something the other day that said schools lose revenue when they cut scholarships to baseball and other sports where scholarships can be split. Baseball players rarely get more than 50% of their costs paid by scholarship; the player or his parents must pay the rest. Take away that partial scholarship, the school loses that money the parents would be paying. Some baseball players only get 33% via scholarship.

And some only get the minimum: 25%.

Never mind partial scholarships, most position players at Arkansas are technically walk-ons. Technically they are full pays. Many of the pitchers get partial scholarships. The very best position players get partial scholarships.

I don’t think I’d go that far. We have 11.7 scholies to distribute across 27 scholarship players. For “most players” to be walk-ons they would have to give 11 full scholarships and one guy getting 0.7. I would be surprised if anyone gets a full scholarship, ever. Even a first-round draft pick.

Now it’s true that in-state kids can benefit from the lottery scholarship, leaving more money for out of state kids like Kjerstad or Masyn Winn. But you can only have 35 on the roster and 27 on scholarship, so the number of walk-ons is limited by that. Paul Mainieri told the Baton Rouge paper in 2015 that no LSU player under him had ever received a full scholarship, and I suspect the same is true for DVH.

How much does the ability of a kid to get a full scholarship in a sport factor in to which one he eventually puts all of his energy into? Say you have a young man who could probably play football, basketball, or baseball at a level high enough to deserve a full D-I scholarship, and that is the only way he could go to college because of family finances. He then drops baseball as an option early on because it is just not affordable, even though he may have tons of talent and a love for the game. Question: Is the NCAA discouraging minorities from playing baseball at a high level, even if unintended, by their parsimonious baseball scholarship policy?

In my lifetime I have seen a definite shift for Black kids from baseball to basketball and football. Actually in my lifetime I saw MLB go from all white to a mixture. I do think the average young black kid plays basketballl or football more than baseball these days.

1 Like

I hope you’re right, Matt. I don’t mind seeing them up the number of women scholarships to make up for it. Baseball has become a major sport. We should treat it like one. There’s nothing wrong with splitting into divisions, either.

Revenue might be a problem for years. I’d like to think the biggest cutback would be in outrageous coaching salaries. That’s probably a pipe dream