Shot selection

I know MA doesn’t play, he coaches, but that had to be the worst game I can remember for the amount of poor shot attempts. No one would drive to the basket and try to make a play, kick out to a shooter or draw a foul. That might have been fear of having to shoot the free throw. Jacking up threes when nothing is falling is hard to watch. The announcer kept saying it and we kept jacking them. This was a winnable game we may not overcome. Tougher days are ahead for this group unless the approach changes some.

It’s all about understanding percentages. Some do, some don’t. If you can’t hit a three more than 2 out of 10 times, you don’t have any business jacking one up, even when open unless the clock is running out. Teams are seeing that on film and it isn’t unusual to see the defense lay off both Gabe and Harris to let them have that opportunity to be heroes. I’d much rather see Joe or Jones or even Sills or Embery-Simpson take the shot, even if they miss. The percentages for them are just higher. Gabe’s percentages for 3 point and free throws make me think he should be shooting for 30 minutes every day after practice, with coaching to teach him mechanics. I love his hustle for rebounds and defense, particularly his taking charges, but he isn’t exactly an offensive juggernaut.

Having said that, last night was just an off night. I think you have to credit Florida’s defense for some of that. They had our guys rattled.