Seven ASU athletes test positive

All seven were asymptomatic.

HY, you gotta test these guys.

1 Like

What a mess.

Oklahoma State announced three positive tests for athletes yesterday and Alabama reportedly has had five test positive.

Yes. Must test. I know the theory that these young healthy athletes won’t be badly affected by this virus, but even if one accepts that, they’re gonna be in contact with a whole lot of less healthy people, including some overweight older head coaches.

And cases are spiking in Arkansas & in particular in NW Ark

1 Like

I bet testing happens at UA sooner rather than later. And, I wouldn’t be surprised if they do both tests. They might find out that about half the team already had it and never knew it.

1 Like

My son’s fiancée tested positive for antibodies yesterday. They live in Chicago and left the first of May to her parents in the Newport Beach area, they both were working from home, and still would be in Chicago. They both thought they had it/flu in mid-March, sick for about 2-3 days and then over it. My son felt a little weak for an extended time, but I attributed that to not walking to the train every day, lol.

I probably barely missed a good chance to catch it March 13th, on a Friday. There was a Trout Unlimited annual banquet (with 300 tickets sold) scheduled for the Town Center. It was canceled the day before the banquet.

As you would guess, the TU chapter in Northwest Arkansas has an older age demographic. In fact, I’m probably a youngster compared to many. We do have some young people in the chapter and there are lots of young people who end up with tickets to that dinner, but I bet the median age for that night of auctions and good food (and beverages) is 60. Among the regulars are many in their 80s and quite a few in their 90s, believe it or not. Maybe fly fishing is a good way to live long. I have joked that many at the banquet ask me where I’ve been fishing (asking for my favorite fishing spots is normally futile) and that I can tell a lot of these old geezers because they won’t remember 10 minutes later.

I was invited to sit at a table as a guest. (Actually, I was invited to sit at several tables and probably would have moved around.) I accepted one offer and it turned out that four from one family who would have probably been there had been exposed six days earlier (without their knowledge) and all got the virus. Their symptoms begin to show up Friday night and Saturday the weekend of that banquet. Would they have been contagious that night? Probably. I had made the decision on Wednesday night for the Friday night banquet. They canceled it Thursday morning. I guess that was the same day they were canceling the basketball games.

The point is not that you’re going to avoid the virus entirely. The point is to know who has it so they don’t infect the rest of the team. If ASU hadn’t tested those seven asymptomatic guys, they could have spread it all over the roster. We won’t know if we have asymptomatic carriers because the plan at UA is to only test people with symptoms or who came from a hotspot like New Orleans.

Well, send Hunter an email, I’m sure he hasn’t gotten any information from anyone with any idea on this virus.

I honestly don’t know the reluctance to test everyone and test often. I read the SI article posted here a few days ago, I get there isn’t agreement in the medical field as to what to do, but, frankly “why not.”

What is the negative they are trying to avoid? Cost? I don’t think so, but maybe.

People don’t want to have a Q-tip shoved all the way up their nose? Maybe? Honestly, that is the only “negative” I can come up with. I maybe missing something, heck, most likely am.

Cost is not insignificant. Even if it’s only $100 a pop, you’re talking tens of thousands of dollars to test the whole team.

Hearing the 1st positive case (student athlete) at UofA now.

https://forums.wholehogsports.com/t/razorbacks-have-first-covid-19-case/34888/3

It would be good to do serology testing, but I have heard nothing about the athletes receiving that type of test. Plus, there is no definitive answer as of yet whether or not previous exposure confers immunity, or if so, for how long. If it is like influenza, probably not for long. We won’t know how this bug acts (is it going to mutate and stay ahead of our immune systems and vaccines) for a while, but at least with an effective vaccine we could comfortably come out of our houses.

Once again there is no guarantee we will ever have a vaccine. HIV was identified 40 years ago and we still don’t have a vaccine. Hopefully, like HIV, there will be effective antiviral treatments, but a vaccine may not bail us out here.