Serious question on coaching and winning,teaching etc

I know in prior years there’s been great talk about how coaches teach (yell) and others that are calm. Most on here seem to like the calm coach, yet at the end of the game when the clock said .00 you could see Saban going crazy on the kid who gave up the catch on the meaningless last play of the game. Also many times when Bama was up a ton Saban was going crazy on the D Cord for Bama. I hate Saban, Bama etc and pretty much every Hog fan feels the same way, but coaches, 5* recruits all need to be coached up and held accountable to have success. Saban may be a jack, but his teams get ready to play or you know the HC is gonna bring the wrath at ya

Thoughts?

I think Saban is a very good coach. But, he used the same methods at MI St and with the Dolphins and he was just another dude.

At LSU he was very good, but lost multiple big games to Houston Nutt.

I guess my point is he’s very good but he’s in a spot where he can embarrass and intimidate superstars and if they balk he can replace them with another one.

The answer, of course, is to recruit like Bama. The problem is that only a handful of programs in America can do that.

Even if CBB was right, his “on the field tirade” was embarrassing… Officials miss calls and that is NOT how you handle it!

Generally I would agree with you but not here. Bama whipped us. The refs had nothing to do with it.

However, we force a fumble on the goal line on the first drive that was somehow missed are barely corrected in time and only because we had to use a TO. The refs started off as unorganized as the Hog defense. We move the ball off the goal line then a flag comes in that is called holding on us then after a somewhat lengthy conference changed to holding on Bama. Both of those missteps by the refs did work out the right way but it does start to leave a bad taste in your mouth. There was an obvious miss on a pass interference call on Hollister that BB went off on.

There was just several incidents leading up to the holding call that resulted in the tirade. That plus the manhandling Bama was putting on us led to his actions. A basketball coach gets lauded for a well timed technicall. At that moment, I was glad he did it.

Yep, the refs missed a lot…including where we PINNED Hurts head down on the ground after he threw a pick… It went both ways and going out on the field and throwing a temper tantrum is not appropriate…IMO

There was just several incidents leading up to the holding call that resulted in the tirade. That plus the manhandling Bama was putting on us led to his actions. A basketball coach gets lauded for a well timed technicall. At that moment, I was glad he did it.
[/quote]

This ain’t basketball…not a good comparison IMO.

When I’ve watched practice with these coaches, the volume of coaching is high and there is loudness to it. There is some profanity, too. Bielema will let them have and it and does. I know Bielema will let his coaches have it, too. I asked him afterwards what halftime was like and he said he got after the defense. If he said he got after them, then it was loud. Football players understand loud and they understand saltiness. There is a place for it within the lines and in the locker room. I do not think this staff lacks for that kind of intensity.

He was finally making a point. He’s sick of the double standard. He clearly wanted the flag.

As for pinning their qb down, that’s what you’re supposed to do following a pick or when you are blocking someone.

You may think that made things equal but that didn’t. This is football. Not tiddlywinks. I was glad to see our guys take the fight to them for once.

I actually took some solace from Bielema doing that. The sequence was galling. First they call that ridiculous holding penalty, then they overlook Bama manhandling our receivers all over the place. Alabama can’t cover a receiver at all. Like Cornelius said, they commit a penalty on every play and expect to get away with it.

I didn’t see anything wrong with it. He was standing up for his players. That’s typically cheered when a basketball coach or baseball coach confront an official the way he did.

I was glad to see him do it, as he has been probably the most patient HC I’ve ever seen with bad calls, and sometimes I think the refs in this conference only pay attention when they are getting a loud earful. I watched his interaction with them the rest of the game, and he did come back at the start of the second half and have a further, much quieter discussion with a couple of the crew. So I think he got his point across, and also probably used it to set up his own team for what, by all accounts, was a pretty interesting half-time conversation.

BB’s been in the conference long enough now to be able to get after the refs some. I suspect that he will still be pretty selective on the big outbursts, as he is a pretty calculating guy, but this probably will help him with the refs overall, especially when the conference office reviews the tape and sees he had a good case just about every time he opened his mouth.