Serious question... how was crowd yesterday?

Weber State was an afternoon game and weather was great, but nobody gave a crap about the opponent or the game.

That’s correct. I didn’t arrive until right before half. It was the first Razorback game my oldest son attended. He was barely 1 y.o. I remember he was wide eyed and bouncing for the band’s halftime performance, and sound asleep right after the start of the second half.

Weber St. was very much a night game, or 6 pm kickoff, which is a night game to me. Anyway it finished in darkness in the 9:00 range. Crowd was so small I took my 6 year old son all through the stadium as game was being played. His first game, we started out in the east indoor club seats, but he soon decided he wanted to go up top, so we took the ramps up to the upper deck. My one and only time to be up there. You can easily Google the game recap, it shows a 6 pm kickoff, but I didn’t need that as my personal proof. I still have photos from the game I took of my son, unless we were having a very long total eclipse the game was at night in 2nd half. Lawrence Richardson returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. This was before TV started dictating the kickoff time for every game, and the UA decided they wanted games like these at night.

We did play Central Florida later in the season, the week after the 7 OT game with Ole Miss, and it was an afternoon game. 1:00 kickoff, and the weather was spectacular for it. Fred Talley had an early 80 yard run, but we had to really fight from them on to beat them something like 27-20. Again, it’s all on Google, but I was there so I sorta know.

I was thinking that opening kickoff return for TD vs. Weber State was by Cedric Cobbs, but that’s just my memory.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned a 1980s game vs. SMU in Little Rock during a downpour. I’d say that was by far the fewest fans I’ve seen in either stadium during the game…probably fewer than 10,000 stayed during what was extremely heavy rainfall with high winds. There was actually a tornado just west of Little Rock.

I recall a Fayetteville game vs. Tulsa in the late 1980s or perhaps 1990 with a similar downpour. I would have gone underneath the stadium during that one except my elementary school age son thought sitting in the rain was a blast.

The big question is really this, “Why does the U of A not announce the actual attendance?”… I know I’ve been to several stadiums, particularly when it is a big crowd, that the PA announcer will say, “Today’s attendance is yada yada yada”…

I think most of the schools announce an attendance that looks the best. I’ve been to Tennessee and LSU games and saw several seats, and then the attendance is announced and it’s greater than capacity listed. I know they’re allowed to count everybody on site, ushers, concession workers, people outside directing parking and traffic, etc. Bud Walton Arena in the glory days of the 90’s had many crowds listed above 20,000, and the capacity was 19,200.

I remember that game. We had tickets on the lower West side, but while we were eating lunch at Fuzzys, Daddy suddenly remembered that he had left our tickets in Bella Vista. Luckily for him, Fuzzy had decided not to go to the game and gave us his tickets. They were up underneath the overhang. There was no storm, but it rained so hard that we couldn’t see the East sideline … at least not well.

I don’t really count the terrible weather games when it comes to bad attendance. Cold rain will drive even the best fans away. Especially if the season has been less than great.

Lawrence Richardson took the opening kickoff back against Weber State. Cobbs did it two years before, almost to the date, against Middle Tennessee.

Arkansas has stopped reporting actual attendance for football games with low numbers; the real number provides ammunition to those with agendas. The first time I noticed it was two years ago for the Missouri game, when the stadium was half-full, at best, and the announced crowd was 72,496, which I assume was the number of tickets sold.

Comparing crowd size is relative to the times, the size of the stadium, and the weather. In the 1940, with less than half the population and a tiny stadium by today’s standards and the largest crowds were smaller than the smallest crowds now. Even in the 1960’s the university had 1/3rd as many students, the stadium had far fewer seats, and the population of NW Arkansas was less than half. Even in the 1980’s and early 1990’s, the stadium was smaller and the population was less. And, always, bad weather is going to affect the crowd size.

If you factor in the size of the stadium, the number of tickets sold, the number of students, the population size, the fact that this was homecoming, and the weather, this was a relatively small crowd.

I doubt that they’ve ever announced the actual attendance, usually because they didn’t know what that was. I’ve told this story before, but when I worked in SIO, they would look around the stadium and eyeball the crowd, make an estimate, and the last three digits of the announced attendance would be someone’s birthday. If it was a big game with national TV and a lot of media in the press box, they’d build an adjustment into that estimate. Now, with ticket scanners, they could get the exact number if they wanted. Dunno if they scan media badges though.

Matt, couldn’t it as easily be said that NOT reporting actual artendance (FACTS) provides ammunition to those with agenda?

I mean facts are facts. How you interpret those, or spin those, can be used to serve an agenda.

But when facts are considered ammunition for an agenda, we’ve totally crossed the rubicon

They have the ability to report actual attendance. The scanners from the ticket takers tell them exactly how any are in the building.