SEC Talent in Mock Drafts

I’ve seen two different Mock Drafts in the last 24 hours…both on CBS Sportsline.

1. The first seven picks projected were SEC Defensive players. 6 of those were from the SEC West.
  2. The second Mock Draft lists 13 SEC players in their 32 team draft; 11 of those being on the defensive side of the ball; 9 of those from the SEC West.

Say all you want about the SEC being “down”. We face bigger, faster talent every conference weekend than any other conference/dvision in the nation.

I am on the Football Writers Association All-America committee. There are 12 representatives from around the country on the committee. I am the SEC rep. In other words, on the conference call, I basically nominate SEC players and we review them. My list of All-America candidates was long. It was full of defensive ends . If you go back and look at the DEs (or outside linebackers) that Arkansas faced this season in the SEC, it was an incredible list of talent. Most teams had great players on both sides. Deatrich Wise not being full speed and Dre Greenlaw being hurt robbed Arkansas of its talent in that area. I did have a long list from Alabama. There was not one person who disputed the Alabama players, or suggested my list there was too long.