Season statistical anomalies

(1)\tDrew Morgan led Arkansas in catches (61). But he never had a reception as long as Devwah Whaley did (Morgan’s longest was 34 yards, Whaley had a 43 yard one)
(2)\tAustin Cantrell (32 yards) had a longer reception than any that Sprinkle had (his longest was 31)
(3)\tSpeed merchant Dominique Reed had 5 carries. His longest was 15 yards. Two less than plodding (by comparison) Kody Walker’s best of 17 yards.
(4)\tSpeaking of Dominique, Rawleigh Williams had as many receptions as he did (they tied with 14). And Rawleigh had a longer one (54 versus 51).
(5)\tTy Storey only had one pass completion more than I did, for only three yards more than my total. We both had zero interceptions.
(6)\tAnd I am pretty sure that, watching from my chair, I made as much contact with oncoming defensive linemen intent on leveling Austin Allen as Colton Jackson did. Even though he has more upside than I do. Joking aside, he was not the only offensive lineman who struggled early, he does have talent and potential, and I look forward to his development and play next year.

1)\tDrew Morgan led Arkansas in catches (61). But he never had a reception as long as Devwah Whaley did (Morgan’s longest was 34 yards, Whaley had a 43 yard one) Whaley caught about a five yard throw and had plenty of blocking. Drew never had that kind of downfield blocking.
(2)\tAustin Cantrell (32 yards) had a longer reception than any that Sprinkle had (his longest was 31) Had to expect opposing DCs would try to take away Sprinkle and for the most part it worked. He didn’t have a Sprinkle to take people’s attention like Hunter Henry did.
(3)\tSpeed merchant Dominique Reed had 5 carries. His longest was 15 yards. Two less than plodding (by comparison) Kody Walker’s best of 17 yards.Kody did have 6x as many chances…
(4)\tSpeaking of Dominique, Rawleigh Williams had as many receptions as he did (they tied with 14). And Rawleigh had a longer one (54 versus 51).Screen pass again which we should have used much more, particularly against A&M
(5)\tTy Storey only had one pass completion more than I did, for only three yards more than my total. We both had zero interceptions.You had one fewer turnover than he did too.
(6)\tAnd I am pretty sure that, watching from my chair, I made as much contact with oncoming defensive linemen intent on leveling Austin Allen as Colton Jackson did. Even though he has more upside than I do. Joking aside, he was not the only offensive lineman who struggled early, he does have talent and potential, and I look forward to his development and play next year.Amazing that we won seven and should have won eight with the OL issues we had. Never mind the defensive issues.

All true, Swine. Guess that’s why they’re anomalies.

Drew Morgan as a junior:

63 catches, 843 yards, 10 touchdowns
13.4 yards per reception
Longest play was 52 yards

Drew Morgan as a senior (with one game remaining):

61 catches, 664 yards, three touchdowns
10.9 yards per reception
Longest play was 34 yards

You can’t explain away the falloff by citing “downfield blocking” or anything like that. Morgan was not nearly as explosive this season. He did not get anywhere close to the same yardage after catches. Was he affected by past injuries? Did he prepare differently? Who knows. The results were obvious. Many fewer yards after the catch, many fewer scores.

To make plain for the hypersensitive - these are statistics not criticisms. If you want to criticize or praise Morgan, go right ahead. These are the numbers.

Jeremy Sprinkle as a junior:

27 catches, 389 yards, six touchdowns
14.4 yards per reception
Longest play was 42 yards

Jeremy Sprinkle as a senior:

33 catches, 380 yards, four touchdowns
11.5 yards per reception
Longest play was 31 yards

The production Arkansas got from its tight ends:

2015 - 78 catches, 1,128 yards (14.5 ypc), nine touchdowns
2016 - 47 catches, 545 yards (11.6 ypc), six touchdowns

Maybe we need to take it to this level:

2015 - Brandon Allen
66% completion, 265 yards per game, 14.1 ypc, 30 TD / 8 INT

2016 - Austin Allen
61% completion, 263 yards per game, 13.9 ypc, 23 TD / 12 INT

Austin nearly matched his brother in passing yards per game, yards per completion. He needed more passes to get the same yardage, due to slippage in completion % (that driven by worse pass protection). A few too many of Austin’s red zone chances turned into INTs instead of TDs, or those numbers would have looked very close too. Austin also took far more sacks.

The ypc numbers, Brandon vs. Austin, are close enough - so what explains the falloff for Morgan and Sprinkle in yards per catch? Sprinkle had to do more blocking because of the Oline’s problems, but he also did not have anywhere close to the same catch percentage (catches / targets) as Hunter Henry had.

Arkansas’s third down conversion rate fell from 47% in 2015 to 42% in 2016. Red zone touchdown rate fell from 69% in 2015 to 60% in 2016. This season, third downs were 19% of offensive plays vs. 18% in 2015. A little slippage there too.

Rushing touchdowns:

2015 - 31, one every 16.1 carries
2016 - 20, one every 22.7 carries

Adjusted average yards per play:

2015 - 7.1 (7th in FBS)
2016 - 6.4 (33rd in FBS)

Plays per touchdown:

2015 - 14.3
2016 - 19.5

Offensive yards per possession:

2015 - 45.0 (1st in FBS)
2016 - 39.3 (26th in FBS)

Offensive points per possession:

2015 - 3.5 (3rd in FBS)
2016 - 2.7 (32nd in FBS)

Possessions per turnover:

2015 - 12.2 (13th in FBS)
2016 - 6.5 (105th in FBS)

Passes per sack:

2015 - 18.2 (16th in FBS)
2016 - 15.9 (66th in FBS)

Plays per lost-yardage play:

2015 - 14.8
2016 - 11.1

Plays per punt:

2015 - 20.1
2016 - 16.5

The defense has gotten a great deal of deserved scrutiny, but the offense in 2016 was less explosive, moved downfield at a slower pace, scored less frequently, committed turnovers more often, gave up more lost-yardage plays.

You added 2 + 2 and got 20, by reading things into the exchange that weren’t there.

My comment was limited solely to the statement in OP that Whaley’s longest reception was longer than Morgan’s. I pointed out that Whaley made his long catch on a screen, thus had a line of blockers in front of him. Had nothing to do with Morgan’s overall season, and certainly not overall offensive production. While your points are valid, they are not at all related to this discussion.