Sean Payton leaving the Saints

Hope he goes to Dallas if he wants to coach in 2022.

2 Likes

Payton wants to win, so why would he subject himself to Jerruh and Stephen’s mismanagement?

Don’t blame him at all,he knows the Saints are not close to winning right now…Great coach,we will see where he goes…may go into broadcasting to the right team opens up…I would if were him,Dallas job opens up,he will be the man.

1 Like

Dallas has most of the pieces in place. Maybe Payton can be a difference maker for Dak if he was the coach here but who knows what is going to happen.

The Jones family has been hiring coaches of late that can live with they way they want to participate in football operations. Contrast that with the Saints, where the Benson controlling interests are very hands-off. The cultural change would be pretty stark. On the other hand, in 2023 Jerry might be just desperate enough to get another trophy before he passes the torch to give Payton a lot more control.

Payton apparently is not going to coach anywhere next year. He’s got a year left on his Saints contract, so they retain his rights for the first year if he goes back to coaching-if you want him in 2023 you will have to make a deal with the Saints.

The Cowboys supposedly love their DC, Dan Quinn, enough to perhaps fire McCarty and elevate Quinn if Quinn looks like a finalist for another job.

I said before and I’ll say it again. In Dallas it always has to be about Jerry Jones. He wants all the credit and all the glory for when Dallas wins. He cannot seem to co-exist with a coach that might be bigger than him… as in Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Don’t get me wrong, I think from a business side of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry is about the best owner out there. HE can make money!! But its his too hands on approach to the day to day coaching and game day coaching that is a problem. That’s why I always thought he kept “yes men” around like Garrett for so long and McCarty fits that mold.

Of all the NFL, I’d be hard pressed to tell you an owners name. Coaches names… sure. Off the top of my head I can only think of 3 and that Jerry Jones, Al Davis (and he’s dead now), and the Rooney Family. I know of the Rooney family because I’m a die-hard Steeler fan since before the days of Terry Bradshaw. I know of Al Davis because of his reputation of always meddling with his coaches. And I think Jones clearly lands in the Al Davis mold.

I just can’t see Sean Payton wanting to get involved with a situation like that at this point in his career unless the money is just too much to pass up on. You can stomach a lot of BS if you got piles of money to go home and roll around in for relaxation.

There was a lot of talk during the Sugar Bowl that Matt Corral had New Orleans Saint all over him (The announcers said out loud that Payton thought that Corral’s skill set and personality were things he thought would fit in well with the Saints and could be the long term replacement for Drew Brees). With ACL injury Corral will probably not be ready to go by NFL’s season’s opening day. Wonder if this was the straw that broke the camel’s back for Payton?

I think the Saints QB situation, which remains pretty bad, and their salary cap problems had to factor into it.

It’s going to really tough for the Saints to trade for a good veteran QB, they probably can’t afford an elite/veteran free agent, and this year’s QB draft class looks pretty thin.

The Saints really need to fix their cap problems and bide their time on getting their next long term QB1. 2022 is probably going to be the start of a re-build, it might be 2025 before they can be contenders again. Payton may well have decided that he’d rather not have to go through that at this point in his career.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Nawlins is in rebuilding mode.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.