Saturday Practice Observations

The Arkansas football team donned shoulder pads Saturday on day three of fall camp. Temperatures were moderate, around 85 for the start of the 2:30 p.m. practice.

The first 20 minutes of practice was open to the media. There will be a few offensive players available after practice.

It’s clear there are good vibes about offensive lineman Jake Raulerson, the Texas transfer. He’s been with the first team at right guard for quite a bit of fall camp. Raulerson handled some snaps early in the first day but appears to be getting the bulk of his time at right guard. He played both right guard and center Saturday, with Frank Ragnow taking some snaps at right guard, too.

Brian Wallace is working behind Raulerson and Zach Rogers is getting the second team center snaps behind Frank Ragnow.

I like the entire wideout group, as expected. Some forget about Cody Hollister. He appears to be faster than I remember from this time last year.

Freshman running back Devwah Whaley has the ability to make SEC cuts with an explosive burst. So does T.J. Hammonds.

I love the ability three deep on the defensive front with four top shelf freshmen.

Connor Limpert, the left footed kicker, has a strong leg. He is impressive, a freshman walk-on.

Cole Kelley has a gun, but has to improve his foot work. He’s raw in some of the drills Dan Enos works through with the quarterbacks.

It looked like Jack Kraus was getting a lot of work with the top two units at tight end.

Did any of the redshirt freshman TE’s standout? :?:

Not in that 20 minutes. We will get a report from Bret Bielema on Sunday.

The scrimmages on the next two Saturday will provide the answer to that question . . .

So Clay, would you say the freshman kicker Limpert is adjusting well to college kicking on KO’s, FG’s or both?

Looking at some of the video of the players it appears they pass the eye test very well. This will be a real fun year.

Clay,

I read some good things about Hayden Johnson at FB. Did you notice him on the field?

Hayden Johnson reminds me of Peyton Hillis. He’s bigger, but still has the quick feet and without question has the “want to” that is important at fullback. They have to want to hit someone. I wrote some things about Hayden Johnson Saturday after practice. Players love him. He took every snap with the ones, twos and threes in team work. They are getting him ready to play.

Hollister has some muscle on him now, geez.

His arms looked massive in a picture that I saw last night.

He’s listed at 209, but I heard he’s really 220.