Safety

To me one of the biggest problems was the lack of well…everything…at safety. Speed, physicality, football IQ, etc.

It seems to me we really need a juco safety or two that can come in and start. Someone like the juco safety Justin EVANS at A&M comes to mind.

Is Arkansas recruiting anybody like that. If not any reports on Deon Edwards and Micah Smith’s ability to provide an upgrade as RS freshman?

Obviously Arkansas has a commitment from Montaric Brown, the 4-star safety from Ashdown that has offers from Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and many others.

They also have a commitment from New Orleans prep star safety Derrick Munson (6-2, 210), who could be either a safety or OLB. He was the Defensive Player of the Year in New Orleans last season over several defenders that ended up signing with Alabama, LSU and others.

The Razorbacks are hopeful of landing four-star Alabama prep star J’Marick Woods (6-4, 205) and will know on Dec. 2. His finalists are Michigan, Arkansas and Mississippi State.

Arkansas has also offered Kamren Curl (6-2, 180) of Muskogee, Okla. He was a one-time Texas Tech commit, but opened things back up. He now has offers from Oklahoma, Nebraska, TCU, Houston and SMU among his 24.

I am not aware of a junior college safety.

As for Edwards and Smith - we have not seen practice since Arkansas so there is no real intel on them to speak of.

Glad to see there are options, but concerned no juco safeties are being targeted for immediate impact.

If Curl and Woods cast their lot elsewhere is the Fields kid the next guy on the board?

Now, I didn’t say there were no JC safeties - just none that I know of.

Evan doesn’t have an offer from Arkansas yet. I suppose he could pick one up, but not as of yet.

I believe he’s talking someone like Justin Evans for aTm who was a JUCO transfer for them the past two years.

I question the speed of all these S prospects and commits except 2.

Munson and J’Marick have to be LB’s.

Also I caution people on Brown. He is going to have to put alot more muscle on. He probably should RS and would RS at LSU, OK, Alabama etc. Ashdown to the SEC big jump.

We have got to get faster…if it means trying to make S into LB’s again then that is what they need to do. We haven’t had much luck with this in the past.

No he specifically asked about Fields - as in Midwest City’s Evan Fields.

Fields top five - released three days ago - are ones he has scholarships from:

K-State, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Mississippi State, and Illinois.

I was just commenting on this:

“It seems to me we really need a juco safety or two that can come in and start. Someone like the juco safety Justin EVANS at A&M comes to mind.”

Any chance the new comers will have a legit chance at starting next year, they can’t play any worse than the guys that did this year. Hope to see a new face with better play.

Coaches seem to think there is a chance someone on campus or about to arrive can push for if not land one of those spots

Good I would hope so