Rule question on inbounds play

In the Arkansas LSU game there was a point where LSU was throwing the ball in from the side about 7 or 8 feet from center court. I can’t remember if it was Notae or Johnson face guarding the player trying to inbound the ball but the ref made him step back and give him space. At the time I didn’t think that was right that he just had to make sure not to reach across the out of bounds line.

Now fast forward to watching Vandy beat Missouri. Almost identical situation in same location and the ref proceeded to warn the player waving his arm up and down obviously say don’t cross the line. The Missouri player literally had his toes to the line jumping up and down.

I’ve always thought toes to the line was legal, so I’m still curious why the Arkansas player was told to step back. Same situation with 2 different things by the officials.

Anyone know the particulars of this type situation? Do you have to step back, or just not cross the line?

The defensive player has to give the passer a 3-foot cushion on the sideline, or any time where he isn’t free to run the baseline. And he still can’t reach across the sideline or touch the passer.

At the end of the Balentine’s Day game in PB in '84, UNC’s final inbounds pass with :02 left was right in front of me, The court configuration in PB, where the media table was within a foot of the sideline, was such that the Tar Heel player (I think it was Matt Doherty) literally could not stand out of bounds; his toes were over the line. So the ref told him, stand here inside the court, but don’t move, and our defender had to get 3 feet back.

No such rule on the three-foot barrier. I don’t think it was a rule back then either, just the official improvising with there not being appropriate space for the inbounder. As long as the player doesn’t violate the imaginary boundary line he/she is good. He was probably just doing some preventive officiciating in our game.

No such rule huh?

Rule 7, Section 6, Article 8 of the NCAA rulebook:

Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot: a The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in Rules 4-11�1�a through �c� b� The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation�76 RULE 7 / OUT OF BOUNDS AND THE THROw-IN c� The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released� Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in� d� The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until he has released the ball and the thrown-in ball has crossed the plane of the sideline or end line� e� In arenas or gyms where there is insufficient space along the out-of-bounds line for a throw-in, an official shall require the defender guarding the throwerin to move back a reasonable distance to give the thrower-in an opportunity to make a throw-in�

So there’s a 3 foot spot that the defender can’t infringe, and the ref in 84 absolutely did it right.

There are a great many places where the defender can’t stand back from the line so the rule makes the defense stand away from the line.

The rule Jeff quoted was for the designated throw-in spot. On a designated spot throw-in where the thrower cannot run the baseline like after a made basket, there is an imaginary three-foot wide box the thrower must keep some part of his/her body in or over.

There is no designated measurement a defender must keep from the thrower as long as he or she doesn’t break the boundary line with their feet or the imaginary line above the boundary line with their body. If in a rare case, there isn’t enough room for the in-bounder, the official can use his/her discretion in requesting the defender to give the thrower room.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.