Rule changes for next year

Anyone think some of the proposed rule changes will take place next year such as going from Half’s to quarters.

They only change the rulebook every two years, and 2018-19 is the year they don’t change it. Will they adopt the changes in '19-20? We’ll see.

To recap, here are the rules they tested in this year’s NIT:

• Three point arc at the international basketball distance of 22-1.75 (which is 6.75 meters, thus the fraction of an inch), back 1-8 from the current line. Free-throw lane widened to the NBA 16-foot, from 12 feet now. Four 10-minute quarters. Shot clock resets to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of 30.

I didn’t watch the NIT at all so have no idea how the changes might have impacted the games. Just off the top of my head, I like the wider lane (allows more penetration; would have really helped Barford) and the shot clock change after ORebs. Neutral on the other two.

I didn’t watch any of the NIT either. After seeing the four proposals listed above, I support all of them, with the caveat that I would like to know how that will affect time outs in general, and media time outs specifically.

I found this (below) from when the Women adopted quarters a couple of seasons ago. I’m assuming the men’s use of timeouts would be similar:

[color=#0000BF]"Under the new proposal, one media timeout in televised games would be permitted for each quarter. Media timeouts would occur at the first dead ball at or below the five-minute mark of each quarter and at the end of the first and third quarters. However, if a team calls timeout before the five-minute mark, that would be treated as the media timeout. Additionally, the first called team timeout in the second half would be treated as a full media timeout.

In the proposed format change, teams would have four timeouts (three 30-second timeouts and one 60-second timeout). A team may use the 60-second timeout at the discretion of the coach during the first or second half of the game. Teams would be allowed to carry over three of those timeouts into the second half. The committee’s original proposal recommended that teams be allowed to carry only two timeouts into the second half.

Each team would be awarded one 30-second timeout in each overtime period, plus any unused timeouts remaining from the second half. In non-televised games, teams would have five timeouts (three 30s and two 60s). As many as four of the timeouts could carry over into the second half."[/color]

Interestingly, I don’t see any reference to changing how/when the bonus (free throws) would be earned. In the Women’s game, 1 and 1 is gone, and the double bonus comes into play with the 5th foul of each quarter (OT is treated as an extension of the 4th quarter in that regard).

Here are the rules in the NCAA women’s rule book regarding timeouts; as Wiz said, presumably the men would have similar rules if we go to quarters:

[quote]Art. 10. In games involving the electronic-media timeout format, the timeout
format shall be:
a. Three 30-second timeouts and one full timeout for each team per
regulation game.
b. The electronic-media timeouts shall occur at or below the 5-minute
mark in each period when the game clock is stopped when there has
been no team-called timeout that precedes this dead ball.
c. The first timeout requested by either team in the second half shall become
the length of a timeout called for by the electronic-media agreement:

1. In any extra period, the first timeout granted to either team may
    become an electronic-media timeout.
    d. When a timeout is granted before the media marks or creates the first
    dead ball at or below the 5-minute mark in a period, that timeout will
    become the electronic-media timeout for that period. (Exception: Rule
    5-14.10.c.)
    e. Each team shall be entitled to one additional 30-second timeout during
    each extra period in addition to any timeouts it has not used previously.
    f. The extra timeout shall not be granted until after the ball becomes live to
    begin the extra period.
    Note: For NCAA Division I tournament games, the Division I Women’s
    Basketball Committee may make the first team-called timeout in both halves
    an electronic-media timeout.
    [/quote]

As Wiz noted, 1 and 1 is gone from women’s hoops; fifth foul in each period is two shots. One and one has never been present in the NBA; the old bonus procedure was for three shots to make two, but that disappeared decades ago. However, I can still remember the unmistakable voice of Dave Zinkoff, who did the 76ers PA for decades, intoning "THIS… is the penalty shot!

Since college basketball has become a lot more Offense friendly I wish they would diminish the effectiveness of touch fouls by player’s charging into a defender - flailing and automatically being rewarded with free throws.

Kentucky & John Calapari’s Offense have been thriving off of that premise the past decade by forcing the referees hand.

Absolutely. Always wondered what Michael Jordan’s per game average without Jordan rules.

Going to quarters will create another time out that will further reduce the effectiveness of pressing.

Actually, no. The women’s rules I quoted above give one media timeout per quarter. That’s four per game. Right now there are eight per game for the men: under 16, under 12, under 8 and under 4 in each half. There are two quarter breaks for the women. That makes six timeouts per game that are not charged to the team in women’s hoops, and eight in men’s hoops. Each team gets four TOs in the women’s game. Each team gets four TOs in the men’s game: three 30s and a 60; one 30 goes away if not used in the first half, and a team timeout can take the place of the media timeouts in both sets of rules under certain circumstances. So this change, if it happens, would reduce the number of rule-mandated rest stops in the game and should make pressing defenses more effective. And, by the way, reduce the drum beat of commercials on our eyeballs.

I suppose that CBS, ESPN, etc., could apply pressure to the rules committee to give them more chances to sell us trucks, beer, insurance, pizza, etc. The NBA has two “mandatory timeouts” per quarter; one is charged to each team. But the NBA game is also 20% longer. There are no more than 14 timeouts in an NBA game, charged or media; the current NCAA men’s rule permits 16, although some of them are 30s which are not long enough for ads, and the women’s rule also permits 14 including six 30s. The length of the between-quarters break in the women’s game is the same as a media timeout, and halftime is 15 minutes in both sets of rules.