Robb Smith deserves credit...

For a great plan and good moves.

Yes he does.

Definitely. Nice adjustments and personnel changes. Defense played great for four quarters.

I think BB had a lot to do with the way the defense played. Jury’s still out on Rob Smith in my opinion.

I agree. I like Robb Smith, but come season’s end I worry about him.
Twice this season in post game interviews CBB has said either they were going to trash that game’s defensive game plan or we won’t see the plan again.
After this remarkable defensive performance CBB said he went into a meeting and said these changes are going to be made and he didn’t spend a lot of time on why.
Now, Smith and Company executed the plan very impressively and sometimes that is what the rank and file, even coordinators, do, execute the Big Cheese’s ideas.
So in this case it could go either way, good for accepting the changes and excelling with them, or bad in why didn’t Smith come up with these changes on his own.
I hope we crush November like we have in the past and Smith’s defense leads the way and earn’s the right to stay. Like I said, I like Robb Smith.

when the Head Hog insists on some adjustements & shifts in positions that proved correct doesn’t bode well for DC

It’s all about results but not sure Smith is coaching in the bowl game

No doubt. Never seen a defense improve that much by the next game…kudos to him and the staff!

kudos to Coach B making it clear to that group. As good as the Florida game was, the bad taste from Auburn will linger because it was complete regression. Playing more people and moving them around should not take that long to incorporate. Glad to see Coach take the role he did.

Hate to try to read the tea leaves, but I also see Robb Smith’s job being tenuous by year’s end. Bielema wear’s his heart on his sleeve. And doesn’t really have a filter either. He is quick to laud assistants when he thinks they are doing a terrific job. Notice the comments about Anderson just yesterday. He has lauded Enos many many times. Same for our new secondary coach. “Its so great to have a former head coach working back there” I believe is close to the quote.

Regarding the overall defense Bielema has made a point to say things like “I moved people to where I want them, to be honest”, or “when shit needs to happen I have to make it happen”, or “we have to take a look at what we are asking people to do” or, perhaps most damning of all, “If I have to get involved I’ll get involved.”

I could be wrong. Maybe they are like brothers and just go back and forth.

But Bret and Robb had not worked together before Bret brought him here. I suspect the Big Chief is less than thrilled. Our defense often took a beating last year too. I’m thinking about the Mississippi schools especially.

Certainly have to give the staff (whoever is responsible) and players kudos for making the turnaround. An interesting comment in a defensive player’s post game interview said basically the scheme was scaled back and they just ran to the ball. We’ll see moving forward but if that’s the case (it has been talked about on this board several times about an overly complicated scheme), it would help answer the question about why a defense with nine returning starters could seemingly wake up in a new world the next year and play so much worse. If that’s the primary reason for the about-face, shame on this staff for taking nine game to figure it out and make personnel adjustments.

I think this team does well against pro-styled schemes. Luke Del Rio said Arkansas played the free safety over Calloway all game long, something he’d not seen. In other words, they had someone under, then a safety over. It was the same scheme that Robb used against Amari Cooper two years ago. If the free safety doesn’t have to play run, he is going to have some fun. Del Rio is not a threat as a runner. That helps a lot.

Fortunately for us Etling at LSU is not a threat either. 20 pts should win that game.

With that that said I have tremendous respect for LSU speed on offense and their defense. But it appears, much like it has the past 10 years, that LSU has nothing at QB.

I see you made it over here after leaving Rivals.
I think you will like the info and articles on here much better as they cover every little thing hog related. Also, the recruiting coverage is much better.

You will find the very few that are miserable to read and never happy, but for the most part, posters here are, I guess you could say, smart and have a clue

Our defense seems to do fine against an offense with olny 1 or two dimensions. The thee dimension offenses kill us.

Hate to try to read the tea leaves, but I also see Robb Smith’s job being tenuous by year’s end. Bielema wear’s his heart on his sleeve. And doesn’t really have a filter either. He is quick to laud assistants when he thinks they are doing a terrific job. Notice the comments about Anderson just yesterday. He has lauded Enos many many times. Same for our new secondary coach. “Its so great to have a former head coach working back there” I believe is close to the quote.

Regarding the overall defense Bielema has made a point to say things like “I moved people to where I want them, to be honest”, or “when shit needs to happen I have to make it happen”, or “we have to take a look at what we are asking people to do” or, perhaps most damning of all, “If I have to get involved I’ll get involved.”

I could be wrong. Maybe they are like brothers and just go back and forth.

But Bret and Robb had not worked together before Bret brought him here. I suspect the Big Chief is less than thrilled. Our defense often took a beating last year too. I’m thinking about the Mississippi schools especially.

Not sure how many dimensions it takes; what I have observed as a fan is that most any spread team gives Arkansas problems, whether it’s primarily a passing team (Texas Tech), or primarily a running (Auburn), or a team that will run and pass well from spread formation (Baylor or TCU). Add in a dual threat QB and it becomes even more difficult for Arkansas.

With more SEC teams, even Bama, going more to spread concepts and Arkansas’ difficulty defending them, something has to change.

I will be interested to see LSU’s frame of mind coming into the game. I suspect Coach O will get them to play hard. I think if Les were still there they would fold.

I thought the same when CBB said he made the calls on personnel changes. Rhodes is an insurance policy that may be reducing the patience CBB has with RS. That was a great performance improvement BUT how much of the improvement is that we did NOT play a spread team with HUNH pace?

I agree. I think we will play tough against LSU. I watched their effort against Bama. They have an outstanding defense. However, they maybe emotionally and physically spent. If they come into our game flat, it maybe not even be close. I predict a close game and we win. WPS

I think CBB probably deserves most of the credit. I’m still dubious about Smith. Not only have we had some notorious collapses, but he can’t seem to get the line-up straight until the last third of the season. An inexplicable amount of experimentation goes on early in the year. People practicing at the wrong positions all through the spring and fall. Ellis last year and Led this year. What’s up with that? I admit that I’m just a guy who watches football, but I seems like we waste a boat load of time trying to fit his vision of how things should be rather than how things really are and will end up.