Remember Zhaire Smith?

I think we felt good about landing him last spring at one point. He was a late bloomer from Garland TX. Ended up picking Tex Tech and was quite a find. Averaged 11 pts and almost 5 reb as a freshman. Scored 18 against Florida in last game. I think that was the scholarship that ultimately went to Gabe.

He would have been a great fit for us.

I understand he is one and done.

That’s crazy in hindsight. He was lightly recruited I think until we showed up. May remember that wrong but I do know Texas offered after we did. Can’t remember about Tech. Wow. We could have potentially had 2 one and dones in a single year after none previously!

Ding ding ding. The bell just went off. That’s where I’ve heard the name Zhaire Smith! Wow, he sure would have been a nice get. I thought he was all about the longhorns when they offered. Oh well.

All signs pointed to Zhaire going with Texas. Then somehow he ended up at Tech. Possibly strong recruiting from Beard. Who knows.

If I remember correctly, Dudley said that immediate playing time was a big factor with him and I think that was a big reason he went with Texas Tech.

I couldn’t for the life of me remember why I knew that name. I was in the tunnel in BWA after last year’s senior night and he was there on his visit.

He seemed nice and interested. I talked to him, briefly. I was excited about him possibly coming here because he looked like a great fit–high flyer.

Then, a few weeks later he committed to TTech. His game has translated well. He makes a highlight reel play or 2 every time I watch them.

Speaking of Texas Tech stars, how about Kennan Evans?

He is the son of former Razorback High Jumper Kenny Evans.

Did we try to recruit him?

I think mother was also a UA athlete.

I don’t remember us recruiting him in 2014. He was a low 3-star, 247 has him ranked as the 315th rated player. In 2014 our class consisted of Anton Beard (ESPN TOP 100), Trey Thompson (Low 3-star), Nick Babb (high 3-star), and Jabril Durham (Top 20 JUCO).