Realistic Coaching Candidates

Here’s one for you. Major Applewhite. He can recruit Texas and, God knows, we need that.

quote=“DawgTownHog”]So lets talk realistic replacements for Bielema. Please no Clay Heltons or getting Bob Stoops to come outta retirement. Don’t mention Chip Kelly because he cannot be hired in the SEC due to NCAA sanctions. No Gruden!

Current Head Coaches:

Mike Norvell - Memphis
• He is from Texas and played college ball at UCA
• Has a high powered/high scoring offense and solid attacking defense
• Coaching Tree: Malzahn and Todd Grahm at Tulsa, Graham at Pittsburgh and Ariz State

Neal Brown - Troy
• From Kentucky, played WR at Kentucky
• Has a high powered/high scoring offense and solid defense (currently best in conference)
• Coaching Tree: Played for Tony Franklin and Mike Leach at Kentucky. Coached with Larry Blakeney at Troy,
Tubberville at Texas Tech, Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

If we go Coordinator :

Brent Venables - DC Clemson
• Kansas native, played at Kansas State
• Has a solid attacking defense that held Bama to 31pts in NC game. Broyles Award Winner.
• Coaching Tree: Played for and began coaching with Bill Snyder at K State, Bob Stoops at Oklahoma, Dabo Sweeney at Clemson.

Jake Spavital - OC/QB coach West Virginia
• Tulsa native, played at Missouri State
• Runs a high scoring Air Raid Offense
• Coaching Tree: Started his coaching career with Malzahn at Tulsa, Kevin Sumlin and Dana Holgerson at Houston, followed Holgerson to OK State and Mike Gundy, followed Holgerson to West Virginia, Sumlin again at Texas A&M where he coached Manzel, returned to West Virginia

Who would you like to have take over the program?
[/quote]

I’m afraid Norvell is suffering from Houston Nutt syndrome (Winning with the previous coach’s recruits.)

Oink2u2

Wow…your first post made sense. Major Applewhite is a name no one is talking about…he is from Baton Rouge,LA and played at Texas has a great coaching tree…played for and began coaching career with Mack Brown, Saban at Alabama, Todd Graham at Rice, Herman at Houston. But ya lost me comparing Norvell to Nutt. This is year three for Norvell so half the team is made up of Frosh,Soph and Juniors he recruited and RS Juniors and Seniors he has developed for three years. Applewhite is truly coaching “someone elses players” , he is in year one and at 6-4 so far. Norvell is 24-7 and 8-1 in his third year.

this is norvell’s 2nd year

Charlie Strong? Trent Dilfer

Tis true…my math skills leave something to be desired.

I like the idea of Strong, loved his defenses and what he did at Louisville. I think what happened at Texas had as much to do with outside forces who nevef wanted him hired as anything. I just wonder if his introverted personality would play well here.

Has Dilfer ever coached?

No scratch that, but he’d be a good QB coach I think.

He does run the Elite 11 QB camp.

Willie Fritz.

Career record:162-83. Not a big name, but has coached and had success at every level of college football. Has coached in Missouri, Texas, Georgia, and Louisiana. Led Sam Houston State to FCS National Championship appearances in 2011 and 2012. Won the sun belt conference at ga southern (8-0) in 2014, their first year in D1, Top 20 offense, Led the nation in rushing (381 ypg), top 10 in scoring (39.1 ppg), took GA Tech (11-3 record) to the wire in Atlanta. In 2015, led the nation in rushing again (363 ypg) and top 25 in scoring (36.5 ppg), and took UGA to overtime in Athens. Now head coach at Tulane.

He wouldn’t be the sexiest hire, but he would be a good one.