Question Re Oregon St status as #1

Just curious as to how Oregon St has attained the status as #1 baseball team in the country. I know they are 18 and 1, but are they really that good? I know absolutely nothing about their program. I don’t recall how good they were last year. Just curious if it’s recruiting? Is Oregon St that great of a school to play ball?
Considering all the disadvantages that have been said to exist with teams in cold wintry climates, vrs the West Ciast schools, in getting a head start with practicing, how has Oregon St overcome that? I’m almost sure their winters are colder and longer than ours. Could be wrong about that. I’ve never been to Oregon. Much less in the Winter.

Made the CWS last season and I believe in 2013 and 2005, they won back to back titles in 06’ and 07’. They’re very good.

I believe they return alot of folks from a team that went 56-6, 27-3 in conference, and put together a 23 game win streak. Couldn’t get past LSU in the CWS.

Oregon had dropped baseball. Then their orange and black neighbors won two straight CWS titles and proved you could win big with their climate. So Oregon dug up some money somewhere (gee, wonder where?) and started their program back up and now Oregon is pretty good too.

I looked at the OSU roster. It’s about what you would expect, lots of west coast kids with a few sprinkled in from other places (Wisconsin sent two; UW dropped baseball about 35 years ago).

[quote=“SwineFusion”]

Oregon had dropped baseball. Then their orange and black neighbors won two straight CWS titles and proved you could win big with their climate. So Oregon dug up some money somewhere (gee, wonder where?) and started their program back up and now Oregon is pretty good too.

[/quote]Ummm, I’m not so sure about Oregon. They got wiped out, swept, by Arizona State (11-10). The Sun Devils are not good. My Arizona State friend is just waiting for the coach to be fired.

[quote=“BaumbasticHawg”]

Oregon’s RPI is #20 right now; they didn’t make NCAAT last two years but were there in 2012-15 every year, hosting a regional in 2013.

Oregon baseball trivia: Their baseball coach in 1907 was a guy named Hugo Bezdek. Two years later he would coach a football team known as the Cardinals to a 7-0 record. Shortly after that, that team became known as the Razorbacks. You might have heard of them. When he left Fayetteville, he returned to Eugene and coached the Ducks’ football, basketball and baseball teams.

Oregon State is absolutely elite

And they have what many feel is THE best player in the nation (Nick Mandrigal) who is hurt right now

Oregon State is probably the premier baseball program in the West now. Pat Casey has done a great job with that program, in particular in developing pitchers.

OSU was the No. 1 overall seed in the tournament last year but didn’t have its best pitcher, Luke Heimlich, most of the postseason. The Oregonian published a story at the beginning of the tournament detailing Heimlich’s admission of guilt to child molestation as a 15 year old. His home state of Washington is one of the only in the nation where juvenile records are not automatically sealed, and the newspaper received the court documents through what it called a routine background check it does for all profile features.

He voluntarily sat out the super regional and College World Series to avoid the media distraction. Who knows what would have happened had he pitched? OSU was 49-4 going into the tournament.

I do remember that story.

Heimlich is back on the OSU team this year and has a 4-0 record in 5 starts with a 2.18 ERA. Plenty of people on the Left Coast are wondering why they let a confessed molester back on the team.