question on norvell

i get that norvell has connections to Arkansas and many want him to be the next coach here.i may have missed it but isn’t he winning with fuentes’ players?how good does he recruit?how has he done when he has his own players?i laughed at the score of the game today.can someone fill me in please?haven’t followed all the discussions so closely as others have.

His recruiting classes have been ranked higher than Fuentes

Fuentes went out to AZ State in the off season after becoming HC at Memphis and consulted with Norvell about his offensive philosophy. The offense Fuentes implemented at Memphis was heavily influenced by Norvell.

The QB having so much success there was recruited by Norvell.

thanks…and i realize it’s norvell…

I watched most of the Memphis game this week. Coach Norvell had a great sideline presence. Coaching kids when they came off the field but encouraging at the same time. I know very little about him but his sideline coaching/demeanor was excellent.

He certainly can coach, apparently he can recruit.

Can he win in the SEC west?

Who knows. That is the million $ question.

[quote=“LDHog”]
I watched most of the Memphis game this week. Coach Norvell had a great sideline presence. Coaching kids when they came off the field but encouraging at the same time. I know very little about him but his sideline coaching/demeanor was excellent.

He certainly can coach, apparently he can recruit.

Can he win in the SEC west?

Who knows. That is the million $ question.
[/quote] obviously we don’t know the answer to that but the guy has been called an “offensive genius” but several coaches. His kids play hard for him

[quote=“fatback”]

Love the energy, connections, and hope he’d bring.

Could be here a long time if it works out.

[quote=“Mikenmike8”]

He could also be on the hot seat in 3 years! Who has he beat?
This isn’t conference USA or the Big 10

We would be better served hiring a defensive coordinator from a power 5 program that’s beating us.
Jeremy Pruitt the defensive coordinator at Bama.

Play the musical chairs.

By the way CBB is still the coach. This should probably wait to be worried about until he is gone!

He very well may, who knows. He’s a very well respected coach and will have a P5 job next year.

I disagree on the Jeremy Pruitt hire, we know he can be a good DC with the best players in the country, but not at Arkansas. His Defense is 3 deep with 5 stars, he will have 1 5 star at Arkansas.

I figure they will pick the right guy.

But I think it’s perfectly fine to start worrying about who the next coach will be, the writing is on the wall.

I’ve watch the last two Memphis games. They look weak. It’s a gimmicky offense with no defense. We can do better. I’d much rather have Lane Kiffin (someone that’s coached in the SEC and Pac-12, and coached under Saban and Pete Carroll), or keep CBB (assuming we win 2+ of remaining 3).

LOL lane kiffin
the bobby petrino experience will not allow that to happen

nothing against his coaching but he is not good fit for arkansas

Norvell is one of the hottest young coaches in CFB
Brilliant offensive coach and strong recruiter

He played CFB in Arkansas

His wife is from here

He has a place at Beaver Lake

Memphis sports radio types have said that some close to him have said he views the Arkansss job as a destination job

He’s already following several of our players and recruits on Twitter

An insider on another board has said there are “important people” connected to the Arkansas program that want him to be the Arkansas coach

It all makes a lot of sense… which makes me conclude Jeff Long will probably not hire him

For me I worry about taking the young flavor of the month.

The guys who have been a head coach very long with little experience in a top league like the sec.

Can they bring stud coaches with them if they are still getting feet wet themselves.

To me if a change is to be made, and seems very likely, it has to be a slam dunk upgrade.

We can’t be wrong on this one or it may have permanent ramifications on fan base and national perception.

If all Arkansas can get is a young flavor of the month coach it must be the most evaluated and sure thing flavor of the month.

Otherwise I’m hoping for someone who has a lot of experience at the highest levels of college ball beyond a few years in mid tier conference.