Question about program future, timing, recruiting

Nutt returning…

We look like a Sunbelt team, athlete and speed wise, and some of you people are worried about negative message board posts and are talking about bringing Houston Nutt back. Really amazing. As a fan base, maybe we are getting what we deserve. Probably are, in fact.

[quote=“Hawgjawbend”]
We look like a Sunbelt team, athlete and speed wise, and some of you people are worried about negative message board posts and are talking about bringing Houston Nutt back. Really amazing. As a fan base, maybe we are getting what we deserve. Probably are, in fact.
[/quote]Did you not post earlier that we looked like a Mountain West team? You are all over the board,albeit consistent in being a “ray of sunshine.” In your own words, really amazing.

Right. Mountain West, or Sunbelt. Take your pick. Interchangeable.

While you and others are rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic, I will just shut up I guess. I’m apparently hurting recruiting. It’s the fault of me and guys like me. Us “negative posters.”

Right. Mountain West, or Sunbelt. Take your pick. Interchangeable.

While you and others are rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic, I will just shut up I guess, lest I become the “ray of sunshine” you so desperately crave.

I’m apparently hurting recruiting. It’s the fault of me and guys like me. Us “negative posters” on a pay message board of all things.

As I said earlier, negative fans can hurt a program, but it is so far down the list that its hardly worth mentioning.

So don’t give yourself too much credit or blame for that matter.

Fans who go after recruits on twitter are probably the most divisive and childish.

But it is mostly about winning and losing and recruiting base.

And probably in need of psychiatric treatment. What knuckledragger would do that? Amazes me

[quote=“DudleyDawson”]

Same would happen with any Malzahn protege. They are an oddball, cultish group.

I think there is a baseline of negativity that is almost a given and irrelevant, but sharp spikes may make measurable differences in individual seasons if it reaches a certain threshold. The controversy surrounding CNR’s job status seemed to affect the basketball team in CNR’s last season. TJ Cleveland, for instance, had by far his worst season as a senior. Even if the vitriol is mainly being directed towards the coaches, some of it splashes onto the players, and they’re human.

This is interesting… How really can these type of hires be made in such a short time?

A hire would really need to be made by the first weekend of Dec? or sooner?

Not asking about this specific job, just in general,

My guess would be they are looking and gauging interest now

Again my guess, but I’d assume the 24th of November, (day after season ends)

If it was a team that played on Sat during the Thanksgiving weekend, then I’d guess the announcement would come on Sunday and press conference on Monday, but again just a guess.

I would normally agree. But if decision is made to replace (and I believe Auburn game part of mix still), then I contend this is a time when Arkansas must be early to ensure it gets who it wants.

Just as an example, we don’t want to be in competition for a Venables or a top HC candidate that TN or Florida or Ole Miss or anyone around country wants.

Yes with hog colored glasses we think our job is better but that’s not national perception in most cases against top talent schools.

We have a shot to control the stage early, and that’s our one shot to get who we want and impact recruiting as well.

And you do not think that those other schools already have their “feelers” out for the best replacement as well?

Of course they do.

I’m counting on Arkansas Powers that Be being better than the others on behalf of the fan base.

Aren’t you?

I’m not sure we have our feelers out. I still think the backend of the schedule may benefit us. Can’t see Bret being fired for 5-7, 6-6 and a bowl. We should beat Coastal and Missery. Then the other four are AUB (I fully expect to get destroyed in their bounce back game), Ole Piss (I still think we have a chance against them), Mistake (same as Ole Piss, we have a chance), and LSWhoo (they play to the level of their opponents: lost to Troy and Mistake, beat FL and AUB). We have a shot at bowling. Now, if for some reason the wheels come completely off and we lose to Coastal and Missery, he is gone.

Remember, however, I said 5-7 in HA’s annual prediction contest. I said he had an excuse this year, because of who we had to replace.watching the young guys last night, you have to think they’ll improve during the rest of the season, and legitimately have a shot at 8 games minimum next year (I’ve said 9-3 and a bowl). Do you really think Long is ready to scratch what we can see, and start over for another five year build?

I’ll be very shocked if 1. We don’t go bowling this year, 2. Jeff fires Bret. I just can’t see it. Now, if we struggle next year with an easier schedule, yes absolutely.

I would like to see Veneables get a shot he would bring an aggressive defense and he would get an OC that would be able to uptempo.
I’m still not sure Long will let Coach B go now or any point this year. I think he will wait for next year. That’s based on his comments a few weeks ago at the touchdown club.

You never know if they are your “fans” or competitor trying to sabotage…it does happen. I believe some teams have “war rooms” to do such things on social media.

This is very true. I know OM, Misstake, LSU and AU fans that swear they do it all the time.

I know a few years ago, we lost a kid to aTm. Kid got the usual “we hate you now” crowd that seems to pop up from time to time, but he also received death threats and posted them so people could see. One of the AR media members looked up the guy who sent the death threats, it was actually an aTm fan pretending to be an Arkansas fan. He was trying to make us look bad, and it worked, a lot of people were bringing up the death threats against kids, when it actually wasn’t our fan base that did it. So, I know it happens. Heck, on the old board, we’d get visitors from other schools claiming to be Hog fans (Wheatie for all the old Lounge guys), and we had guys that would go to other boards and say stuff. I think it’s normal, but I also think there is a line you don’t cross, threatening an 17, 18 year old kid or his or her families, that’s a little too far.

[/quote]

They hired their man and it isn’t Long. For my money, I’d keep Bielema. I’m not a big fan of his game day coaching, but I think he has done a good job with his staff, Anderson included, although we aren’t seeing the results we would like. I don’t know why. It may be mental. I certainly think we have talent to compete. It’s easy to be frustrated and critical, but I think Bielema is as good as any HC that we could hope to entice to Fayetteville.