Question about program future, timing, recruiting

I am not sure where program is heading and smarter people than me can debate.

We all want what is best I’m sure, and good people on all sides of discussion.

I do worry for negative impacts to national program perception stemming from losing conference records, widespread talk of coaching change, potentially losing recruits if not even some current players having doubts, etc.

Seems stability and overall program direction is important.

There likely will be three or four coaching changes in our conference alone - all of which as good if not perceived equal or better jobs vying for a new coach.

Anyone recruiting against us for top recruits no doubt telling them we lack stability and coaching change likely.

So, do we need to tell the world soon that coach B is our guy no matter what, this year a down year but future looks bright, in order to hold together recruits and keep stability?

Or do we need consider timing of coaching change knowing we will compete against others in own conference to attract same guys, and be first to name a new guy toward end of season before others have chance to take who we want - and give ourselves best chance to not loose a recruiting year etc?

I don’t know.

I agree with your post. Jeff Long has a tough decision to make. With the negativity whirring around our program, he needs to step forward and make the decision soon.

I tend to wonder if timing of leadership decisions key - one way or another.

It’s a conundrum. The program needs stability & that means sticking with a coach for more than 5-6 years. On the other hand, one reality is that once a coach has lost the fans’ confidence, his chances of getting recruits good enough to reach success go down. The recruits feed on fan discontent & that adds to further failure & discontent. I’m afraid if CBB stays we’re not likely to improve for that reason. I’m also afraid if we fire CBB, we’ll be on the coaching carousel that also causes failure.

Given our unfortunate natural position in the SEC (about 7th in wealth & resources), it’s going to take some really good fortune to rise above the middle of the pack even occasionally. It will take even more to move above that regularly. And lest we forget, every other program in the SEC wants what we want. And only 2-3 can be at the top. Only 1 can be at the very top. That leaves 10-13 other programs dissatisfied. Every year.

they are going to make a change at head coach, Arkansas needs to do so quick enough to have the new guy in here for the first recruiting weekend of December.

If not, the Razorbacks will be behind because the new guy needs to be able to work on keeping the recruits he wants and getting some others he deems necessary.

They will likely be some de-commits. That just happens when there is a coaching change.

I agree. Which is why, if I were Long, I would come out and say Bielema will be here next year. (So long as we play Auburn tough at home next week. We can’t get blown out at home). No matter what. I know I will get crushed on this board for that. But until the last two games last year, I think the program was on an upward trajectory. Now, there’s no debating its on a downward trajectory. But, we saw yesterday we have the QB of the future in place. We have a stable of WR’s that maybe started to be effective yesterday…against the nation’s best defense. Certainly Martin showed up big. Jordan Jones too. Those two are huge time talents. Then there is obviously Nance and some others. Defensively, we fought after getting shellshocked…and if we can ever find a really great free safety (maybe he’s on campus) and develop some outside linebackers I think we will be much improved on defense next year. We have running backs. I would certainly have a new offensive line coach ready as soon as the college and NFL seasons are over (and I think I’d go with a college guy). I do think the o-line has been coached atrociously since Pittman left.

Bielema is culpable, as he hired Anderson. But these two years are the first really BAD offensive lines bret has had in his entire career. Anderson’s presence sure seems to be the factor that needs to be fixed. It all comes down to the o-line with a Bielema team. Gotta make a move Bret. Until then…keep coaching them yourself.

So I would publicly announce Bret is coming back…privately tell him what the Aggie AD seems to have told Sumlin publicly (aka you gotta win this year or I have to make a move like it or not)…and thus protect the recruiting class and stability for the remainder of the season.

I do hope our disgruntled fans will behave themselves better than they did with Nutt.

I’m not going to crush you. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

But one question I have is this: Why are you concerned about keeping this recruiting class together? It’s currently ranked 51 by 247. It’s apparent this staff has a lack of judgment in regards to recruiting, just look at our talent level.

Quite possibly a new coach could come in and land better recruits than we have currently committed.

We have a tough game this week with AU in Fayetteville but then we have a chance to close better.
AU
at OM
Coastal Carolina
at LSU
Misstake
Mizzery

Unfortunately the negativity is going to damage our recruiting yet there is limited chance anything happens to Bielema. All of this negativity is being stirred up by some people that are emotionally invested in firing Long and Bielema for reasons tied to BP. I don’t see anything happening other than him getting rid of Anderson.

We are being damaged by the negativity but the USCe game created valid griping…but we do not need the incessant pot stirring of a portion of the fan base. The negativity is a different animal than when HDN was here, because social media has amped up the drama queen element of every fan base. If we lose to AU and OM badly I think we need to change coaches and hope that the Petrino stench/crowd is shut down. I have never seen a fan base so divided by a former coach and how far some will go to act on their anger and self importance.

Being reported that Long is a favorite to take Nebraska AD job.

[quote=“HogTreat”]
We have a tough game this week with AU in Fayetteville but then we have a chance to close better.
AU
at OM
Coastal Carolina
at LSU
Misstake
Mizzery

Unfortunately the negativity is going to damage our recruiting yet there is limited chance anything happens to Bielema. All of this negativity is being stirred up by some people that are emotionally invested in firing Long and Bielema for reasons tied to BP. I don’t see anything happening other than him getting rid of Anderson.

We are being damaged by the negativity but the USCe game created valid griping…but we do not need the incessant pot stirring of a portion of the fan base. The negativity is a different animal than when HDN was here, because social media has amped up the drama queen element of every fan base. If we lose to AU and OM badly I think we need to change coaches and hope that the Petrino stench/crowd is shut down. I have never seen a fan base so divided by a former coach and how far some will go to act on their anger and self importance.
[/quote]negaitvity is stirred up by losing six power 5 games in a row, being 10-25 in the SEC and heading for a losing record. Now which do you think is more detrimental to a recruiting class? Negative message board posters or losing to Mizzou?

This class is not going to be ranked high no matter who ends up getting credit so the fact that it is 51th right now is because there are only 12 commits counting in the rankings because the other two currently taking up spots in the class are blue shirts.

There are some very good players in the class that whoever the coach is needs to hang on, too.

Dudley I have no doubt you’re correct and hope whomever is the coach hangs on to those guys, but a recruiting class is never a reason to hold on to a coach IMO

If that were the case Butch Jones wouldn’t be on his way out.

[quote=“hog2009”]

It all plays into it, but certainly the losing is the biggest factor.

There has been at least one other coach who has divided up the fan base a little more - that would of course be HDN.

[quote=“hog2009”]

Negative posters and those with repetitive agenda posts are more damaging, because we have 6 more games with Mizzery being the last game. We could win 3-4 games the rest of the way and that may mean CBB stays. I will wait until I see how we play against AU, OM and CC.

I have one agenda. And it’s the same as everyone’s here. I want to see UA win as many football games as possible.

If posting the head coach’s record is an agenda consider me partisan I suppose

Nowhere did I say that is a reason to not fire him. Nowhere.

In fact, I think it is trending in that direction now at this point and is likely to happen.

What I have now said several times, is that if the coach is fired, the new one needs to be in place to do what he can to get the best class he can signed by Dec. 20-22 or Feb.

[quote=“DudleyDawson”]

Nowhere did I say that is a reason to not fire him. Nowhere.

In fact, I think that it is likely trending in that direction at this point and likely to happen…

What I have now said several times, is that if the coach is fired, the new one needs to be in place to do what he can to get the best class he can signed by Dec. 20-22 or Feb.
[/quote]Never said that you did.

I’m not sure that is the right one to look at, the more you have commited the higher it is .
I go by the average stars of the recruits and we are better there than 51

Some higher than us have weaker players or lower ranked but 22 players listed

Bielema needs to be gone as soon as the last second ticks off the clock of the Missouri game and so should Jeff Long, but Long will stay at least til the new coach is hired and for the sake of the program we better hope Long has nothing to do with the hire other than the introduction of the new coach.
Granted the next coach may be no better than BB and we could be in the same situation five years from now, never know.

I wonder about program leadership and timing.

If coach B is to stay regardless, I would think for program stability going into next year, we need AD coming out strong, acknowledging we are down this year, but future bright, Coach is our guy, rally fan base, show belief in future, etc.

Maybe this waits another week until after Auburn I wonder.