Proof is in the pudding

https://twitter.com/jeremycrabtree/status/826561971101245440

It’s pretty evident that in order to be a big time contender we’ve got to find a way to get into at the least top 15 of recruiting.
I think with our style we could compete with a 4 year average recruiting rank around 15. From this tweet though it’s easy to see you need to be top ten.

While BB has done well recruiting if we could ever get to top 15 or close I think he would show some nice production on the field as well.

Welcome to Arkansas and the SEC West. Unless we start paying recruits, top 15 rankings will never happen.
Fan for over 50 years, I’ve seen a lot.

WPS!

Unfortunately I believe so too.
Either that, we start winning a lot of games, or have a coach who is an ace recruiter with a history of doing really well. Very unlikely that something like that happens, and I like BB so don’t necessarily want it now. But hypothetically speaking if a guy like dabo (or one of his caliber and charisma) was to miraculously come here I bet we could pull a top 15 or close class.

Motorcycle Bob couldn’t get us in the top 15, I doubt any coach will. Just a a taste of reality. Will that keep me from renewing my tickets, nope.

You are correct, there are right around 15 to 17 schools we will never beat in recruiting because they are blue bloods with great coaches or teams that have all the big time high rated recruits right in their back yard! The only way we get in that 10-15 range is when they come back an re- rank a class four years later.

If Nebraska could do it we can do it. Just need a Hall of Fame coach like Devany Osborne Broyles and Holtz.

I say to do this legally,spend the money that it would cost to buy recruits on the coach,offer a coach of Nick Saban quality money he can’t refuse! I you remember it took Alabama offering Saban money that everyone said was absolutely crazy at the time to turn his head,He didn’t come aboard right away if you remember,But the money was right and he eventually came around to their way of thinking, the rest is history! Money well spent,Right!! Ok, so who is this coach we through all this money at? Let me hear your opinion.

Nostalgia is a great thing, but I think a lot of fans exaggerate how good the Hogs were in the SWC days. Broyles and Holtz would have had a hard time in the modern SEC West too. In the SWC you had to be ready for two or three big games plus a bunch of dregs. While we had a few great bowl wins and one or two big non-conference wins, we did not exactly dominate against other power conferences.

In the SEC you are hoping to get one easy game in your conference schedule, and know that five or six are going to very difficult. Add in the fact the conference has mandated that every one play at least one decent non-conference team a year, and we just live in a lot tougher neighborhood. So while I’ve got a lot of great memories of those SWC years, I think it’s a bit much to think Broyles or Holtz would have us nipping at Bama’s heels every year.

And I wouldn’t change conferences for the world. When you win games in the SEC it means something. I think we can win championships, and we are going to find out in the next two years whether BB is the guy to do it. His system is now in place, he’s inched recruiting up bit by bit, and he now has to prove his staff can get us to the next level, which to me would be an average of nine regular season wins over the next three years. It’s going to be an interesting year in the West, as there are four guys that need to win a lot of games to keep the heat off the seat(BB, Sumlin, Freeze and Malzahn).

As to who… great question ha ha!

Right now I’m ok with BB but if he doesn’t do well this season (9 win minimum) then it’s probably time to look around.

Coaches that in a dream scenario I would like to have.

1. Dabo Sweeney
  2. Mark Richt
  3. David Shaw ( which is the least likely of the almost no chance guys I’ve listed)

But that’s a tough one probably a lot of different opinions. I really like dabo though.

Correct. Our record against what is now Power 5 NC opponents back in the day was pumped up by beating up on a weak Okie State program on a yearly basis. Other than that, there weren’t very many NC wins against Power 5 teams. Our best NC record alltime against Power 5 was 2-0-1; we beat Vandy and Okie State and tied UCLA in 1978.

I’m a little discouraged by what I’m learning about bigtime recruiting. It seems that to run with the big dogs, we’re going to have to get the same fleas they have. Meaning they cheat and we have to cheat (more) to catch up and keep up. Or if we are cheating at that level already, we need to do it more effectively. Is that where it is, or where it is going? If so, I’m gonna have to give this some more thought. I’m no defender of simon-pure amateurism, but I do want a level playing field. Maybe the only way to level the field is to throw money on it.

Same with Oklahoma… They don’t produce that much talent…

So what attracts today’s top recruits to these programs mentioned?
Recent Success
Long History
Notable Coach
Great Environment
Big Money

If it’s all or any of the above, well we just don’t stack up yet I suppose. Although I think Environment at the UA is a lot better than most kids realize, but probably the weakest sales pitch.

…but it can happen with a very good team and a few breaks. Three times in the last 20 years we’ve been close: 1998 (Stoern-over), 2006 (Holliday 92 KO Return; a fake and muff) and 2011 (#1 LSU vs #3 Hogs in game 12).

So we need some elite players to show up. 06 had DMac and co.

11 had one of the best offensive play calls in the game, with some very good players throwing and catching the ball.

I don’t think Enos is the elite play call guy like BP, so we need a heisman type level guy to show up. Hopefully he’s on campus ready to break out this season!

It’s pretty evident that in order to be a big time contender we’ve got to find a way to get into at the least top 15 of recruiting.
I think with our style we could compete with a 4 year average recruiting rank around 15. From this tweet though it’s easy to see you need to be top ten.

While BB has done well recruiting if we could ever get to top 15 or close I think he would show some nice production on the field as well.
[/quote]

Since CBB got here he has proven he can beat every SEC West team except Bama, and everyone has that problem.
Winning can provide for better recruiting and perhaps (dare we hope?) a less negative fan base.
For this team’s most pressing needs I think this class answers most of them.
This team desperately needed DBs and WRs. We are getting some very good ones.
We needed more depth at RB. Got it.
Always need a QB. Got a well regarded one.
We continued to build depth at OL, LB and TE. I think Wagner will be a star.
I know there has been stress due to a lack of DLs and that cannot be denied. But we have a number of good ones on hand.
A change at DC is also going to help. The defense’s total inability to adapt to personnel, opponents and in-game situations led to the failures that tanked this season and led to issues last season. The fact that we were sold prior to the 2015 season that Brooks Ellis was a smarter and faster Spaight shows a fundamental evaluation error and just one example of what went wrong. We can only hope things improve as CBB does have some responsibility for letting that failed situation continue.
There is recruiting for needs and there is recruiting for status and rankings. I think we did the former very well this year and to heck with the ratings.
Now we need a special teams coach that knows what he is doing.

Since CBB got here he has proven he can beat every SEC West team except Bama, and everyone has that problem.
Winning can provide for better recruiting and perhaps (dare we hope?) a less negative fan base.
For this team’s most pressing needs I think this class answers most of them.
This team desperately needed DBs and WRs. We are getting some very good ones.
We needed more depth at RB. Got it.
Always need a QB. Got a well regarded one.
We continued to build depth at OL, LB and TE. I think Wagner will be a star.
I know there has been stress due to a lack of DLs and that cannot be denied. But we have a number of good ones on hand.
A change at DC is also going to help. The defense’s total inability to adapt to personnel, opponents and in-game situations led to the failures that tanked this season and led to issues last season. The fact that we were sold prior to the 2015 season that Brooks Ellis was a smarter and faster Spaight shows a fundamental evaluation error and just one example of what went wrong. We can only hope things improve as CBB does have some responsibility for letting that failed situation continue.
There is recruiting for needs and there is recruiting for status and rankings. I think we did the former very well this year and to heck with the ratings.
Now we need a special teams coach that knows what he is doing.
[/quote]

When did he show he could beat aTm?

Good point. For whatever reason I was thinking Missouri rather than A&M. Point taken. Still does not change my analysis.

When did he show he could beat aTm?
[/quote]

[/quote]

It is true that he has shown an ability to beat SEC teams, besides A&M and Bama.
What bothers me is some of the losses he has had, they can be real head scratchers and leave you questioning a lot of things.
While everyone wants to think recruiting ranks don’t matter, and to some extent that’s true in some cases, for the most part they do matter very much.
The better overall average every year the better prospects you have along with depth. If you add what we hang our hat on, in development to guys with more potential, I think we could compete with anyone.

Ultimately have to find a way to get up around top 15 or so.