Pro Football Focus rates College QB's (Austin Allen)

Who is the best QB in the SEC?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/colleg … gn=college

This does not surprise me. And I think Austin is going to get better.

Reaffirms what some us think, that Austin is showing to be the best QB in the SEC or right up there, and the best pro QB prospect in the SEC. Some of those listed ahead of him — I don’t know. Hasn’t worked out too good for dual threat QB’s in the NFL, unless you are as big as Cam. But lord don’t let him choose to leave early. It doesn’t seem like that would fit the mold of his family, but man, if you are projected high enough — you can’t really turn it down. Great — something else to worry about, lol.

Aloha,

According to the article, “He (AA) has been under pressure on 40 percent of his drop backs, the second-highest rate in the nation.”

Wow. What does that say about the Hog’s OL?

GHG!

I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Yes, losing a seasoned QB a year early ain’t great, but it puts the QB and skill positions (Hatcher, Cornelius, Morgan, Hollister, Reed, and Sprinkle are all SR’s and will be gone next year) on the same level. Something I mentioned earlier this year. Next year AA would have at least one new lineman, but the WR’s and TE would be new and we’d have issues. Everyone being young next year, would allow them to grow together and by their JR/SR years, they’d be clicking. So, him having a good year and leaving early may actually benefit us long term.

[quote=“bakedhog19741”]

I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Yes, losing a seasoned QB a year early ain’t great, but it puts the QB and skill positions (Hatcher, Cornelius, Morgan, Hollister, Reed, and Sprinkle are all SR’s and will be gone next year) on the same level. Something I mentioned earlier this year. Next year AA would have at least one new lineman, but the WR’s and TE would be new and we’d have issues. Everyone being young next year, would allow them to grow together and by their JR/SR years, they’d be clicking. So, him having a good year and leaving early may actually benefit us long term.
[/quote]Dang dude, that makes way too much sense for our fractured fan base that believes we can challenge for the National Championship every year and CBP was our lost football savior. Like me, you must be life long fan with realistic goals, but I don’t know if the current SEC climate would ever allow CBB to survive that long — and that would be a shame. You just pointed out how important this year may be.

[quote=“dm919”]

Welcome to reality.

When you see things like that, makes you wonder why Arkansas called 61% running plays in the first three quarters against Texas A&M.

[quote=“RandyReece”]
When you see things like that, makes you wonder why Arkansas called 61% running plays in the first three quarters against Texas A&M.
[/quote]Only thing you can guess — and just a guess — is that maybe Austin surprised the coaching staff too. You know, they thought he was going to be good, but until those bright lights of a big time game are actually on, you can’t know how someone is going to respond. He had very little real game experience. What — a few plays at Columbia, MO last year or was that the year before ? Maybe time to pass to set up the run, instead of our norm.

This was my main takeaway from the piece.

[quote=“dm919”]

And it could be that CBB knew that unless they could make A&M respect the run, AA would get hit every play because our line could not protect. In the past (here and elsewhere) CBB’s offensive lines have always been able to open holes (sometimes better than at other times), and this year should be no exception. Don’t know what’s going on!

[quote=“BatonRougeHog”]

[quote=“dm919”]

And it could be that CBB knew that unless they could make A&M respect the run, AA would get hit every play because our line could not protect. In the past (here and elsewhere) CBB’s offensive lines have always been able to open holes (sometimes better than at other times), and this year should be no exception. Don’t know what’s going on!
[/quote]Well, you are Exactly right there, and that was what we all expected – and obviously even the coaching staff expected that. Maybe the loss of Charlie Partridge was downplayed a little too much. But we might be about to find out how good our coaching staff really is. Hate to beat a dead horse, especially when I am not an expert, but throwing until they clear the box of the 9th dude — looks like what we need to do. Throw it until they back up because we have the passing attack ---- but what do I know. At that point. I bet we see great RB’s immerge. They are playing us right now.

I think you mean Sam Pittman (OL coach), not Partridge, who was a DL coach who left our staff 3 years ago.

:wink:

Amasing.

[quote=“RandyReece”]

Amasing.
[/quote]Yep, thanks for the correction, got to typing to fast — but you knew what I meant. The point was that we need to throw more on first down and be less predictable with this OL. As we saw again this week, can’t smash people anymore— yet anyway. But I guess that’s just me. You guys don’t have an opinion on that.