Pre-Season SEC Hoops Power Rankings

Per Rothstein:

[SEC Offseason Breakdown - College Hoops Today](SEC Offseason Breakdown - College Hoops Today)

Thoughts?

Meh. Kentucky will be good, Tennessee will be good, we’ll be good. Exact order to be determined.

I did notice he projects Graham as the starter. It will be really interesting to see what lineups Muss uses in Europe, which may or may not bear any resemblance to the lineups in November, much less February.

I noticed Rothstein doesn’t include Arkansas in his Top 10. I don’t think he’s really done his homework on this Razorback team. His team “analyses” have always been rather superficial and lacked depth.

UK at #1 is an easy pick with Oscar T, Wheeler, Toppin, and Wallace all returning. I’m not sure Cats will be best team in SEC this season though.

I heard thru the grapevine that the Mitchell brothers are making it really hard to score at the rim in scrimmages. It wouldn’t surprise me to see one of the two starting at the “center” position by February, with Brazile most likely at the “pf” spot.

1 Like

Good to have “enforcers” like the Mitchell twins. Tough hombres who grew up on DC streets.

Hombre is an underrated word.

3 Likes

Yes, and they will be needed. Toughness is essential to exact some separation from the near equal talent we will face at times.

Rothstein actually has a lot of good info in the article. It is a bit of a head scratcher how he came up with his team rankings based on his very good information. He has Arkansas with 5 of his 15 impact freshmen. Three of them are 5-star McDonalds All Americans. He has Arkansas with 2 impact transfers (Graham and Council - should be 3, with Brazile).

With all that info, it’s a bit of a head scratcher to me how he could have ranked the Hogs anywhere but 1st or 2nd in the SEC. His other miss was putting GG Jackson (6 consensus ranking) as the only freshman on the first team All SEC instead of Nick (#3 consensus ranking).

No other team but KY comes close to matching the Hog’s talent. I don’t question his choosing KY as number 1 in the SEC. We have no one to match up with Oscar, but neither does any other team in the country. Though we did beat them with Oscar last year with less talent than we will have this season. That’s OK though, just another little chip to put on our shoulder.

It is a bit of a head scratcher how he came up with his team rankings based on his very good information. He has Arkansas with 5 of his 15 impact freshmen. Three of them are 5-star McDonalds All Americans. He has Arkansas with 2 impact transfers (Graham and Council - should be 3, with Brazile).

With all that info, it’s a bit of a head scratcher to me how he could have ranked the Hogs anywhere but 1st or 2nd in the SEC. His other miss was putting GG Jackson (6 consensus ranking) as the only freshman on the first team All SEC instead of Nick (#3 consensus ranking).

Yeah. As a supposed college hoops “insider,” Rothstein isn’t a very good one. I informed him on his twitter page last season that he was a lousy analyst and a John Calipari and Bruce Pearl butt-kisser and of course he blocked me, lol.

1 Like

Arkansas, returning only one “starter” in Devo, who averaged only 8 ppg, and trying to mesh a gaggle of new guys, being picked as #3 is a fairly lofty expectation by outside analysts.

If the last couple of seasons are any guide, we will be up and down the first 15-20 games, then Muss will get the rotation dialed in. In mid-January guys like Rothstein will probably be treating us an afterthought-yeah they will make the tournament, but they won’t stay long… But by the end of February…

I do think that the floor of the team’s performance is much higher this year than last, because the talent level is higher and the shooting should be better. So we probably will have a few more wins than last year before the machine really starts humming.

There you are, voice of reason without “home cooking”. :sunglasses:

You’re dependable. Negative as the day is long, but dependable.

2 Likes

Any “analyst” who picks Arkansas to only finish third in the SEC clearly hasn’t done her or his homework on the team.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.