Practices notes and observations - Aug. 31

• Offensive line coach Brad Davis was back working with his linemen during the 15 minutes we were allowed at practice. He was as vocal as I remember him the first time I got to take in practice. Davis was out of practice on Aug. 24. A team spokesperson said Davis had a pre-existing condition that would keep him out for a little bit. Word is he was back in meetings on Friday.

• I watched Trey Knox pretty closely today. I wouldn’t say he was working full speed, but he looks healthy to me. He made a really nice catch on a stutter-and-go route. He laid out near the goalline and made the grab. That was good to see. I’m hopeful we’ll get more of an update on Knox today or tomorrow. He’s been kind of flying under the radar to this point in camp.

• Jalen Catalon was back out at practice and going through drills with defensive backs. He looked to be moving fairly well. Catalon injured his knee early on in training camp and missed several days. Had Catalon not gotten hurt, I figured he would’ve been up for a starting job at safety alongside Joe Foucha. In his absence, Myles Mason has been getting plenty of looks there with the 1s.

• Offensive linemen and linebackers were a little light in numbers. I saw Ty Clary getting some work in at left guard, which I believe is fairly new. I still feel pretty good about (L–>R) Myron Cunningham, Luke Jones, Ricky Stromberg, Beaux Limmer, Noah Gatlin OR Dalton Wagner being the No. 1 group up front.

• A’Montae Spivey was present today after not taking part in Friday’s scrimmage. Pittman said last week that Spivey did not get any reps because he was a little dinged up.

• Blayne Toll was back working with the tight ends, as Sam Pittman said he would be on Friday. Last week, Arkansas moved freshman linebacker Eric Thomas to tight end, but he is now back at linebacker. Toll signed with Arkansas as a defensive end, moved to tight end this spring, moved back to defensive line at the start of camp, and again returned to tight end late last week.

• I didn’t think KJ Jefferson threw the ball all that well in the time we were out there. A couple of balls may have slipped out of his hand as he readied to throw, but one was just a duck and wobbled badly.

• Receivers and tight ends hit the grass and did pushups when they dropped passes today. I saw Mike Woods, De’Vion Warren and Jaquayln Crawford get some pushups in early on.

• Sam Pittman spent a good bit of the open portion of practice with Arkansas’ defensive ends.

• We are going to talk to Feleipe Franks and Jonathan Marshall tonight via Zoom. This will be our first time speaking with Franks since late April.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.