Practice observations - 8/14

Here is what I recorded using voice memos at today’s practice. It rained a lot.

Defense – 11-on-11 work

1st DL (L –> R): Gabe Richardson, Armon Watts, TJ Smith, Randy Ramsey
2nd DL (L –> R): Dorian Gerald, Sosa Agim, Jonathan Marshall, Michael Taylor
1st LBs: Scoota Harris, Dre Greenlaw
2nd LBs: Grant Morgan, Bumper Pool
Nickel: D’Vone McClure with first team; Derrick Munson with second team
1st DBs: Ryan Pulley, Chevin Calloway at corner; Kamren Curl, Santos Ramirez at safety
2nd DBs: Jarques McClellion, Montaric Brown at corner; Joe Foucha, Myles Mason at safety

– Notes: Ramsey looked to still be favoring his right leg a little bit (hamstring, per Morris). He wore a white leg sleeve today and did participate in the live tackling portion early on. … Ryan Pulley was still in green. He said on Monday he had a bit of a stinger in his shoulder. … Armon Watts recovered a fumble. … TJ Smith had a tackle for loss on Maleek Williams. … Jarques McClellion had a nice pass breakup. … We believe lineman David Porter was in green today.

Offense – 11-on-11 work

1st OL (L –>R): Shane Clenin, Kirby Adcock, Hjalte Froholdt, Johnny Gibson, Dalton Wagner
2nd OL (L –>R): Noah Gatlin, Austin Capps, Dylan Hays, Tyler Hall, Ty Clary
1st WRs: La’Michael Pettway, De’Vion Warren and Gary Cross
2nd WRs: Jonathan Nance, Jared Cornelius, Tobias Enlow

– Notes: Ty Storey ran with the 1s at quarterback, Cole Kelley with 2s. … Quarterbacks worked on moving around in the pocket today. Joe Craddock stood around the line of scrimmage and tossed Baggo-like beanbags in their direction before the guys threw at the 3-pocket accuracy nets. Each of the quarterbacks, in the couple of minutes I watched, threw the wet balls high and over the net. … Maleek Williams had a very nice run to the left side that went for 10-12 yards. He’s getting a lot of early reps of late and looked good. Catching passes out of the backfield still a work in progress. He also picked up a poor Dylan Hays snap and turned a busted play into 3-4 yards. … Deon Stewart was out of his green jersey and back in white. … Jeremy Patton did not practice today. He is still in a walking boot.

Special teams

– Connor Limpert missed wide right from 45-plus yards on his first attempt. He came back on his second attempt after the second-team offense finished its drive and made the kick from approximately the same distance. … John Scott was working with guys on punt block today.

Scottie did Wagner and Gibson switch or did you list them wrong?

Seems there are some perceived 1’s that are working as 2’s, I wonder if that is some sort of master plan?

Wagner was at right guard today and Gibson was at right tackle. When Brian Wallace returns, which Chad Morris said will in all likelihood be Wednesday, Wagner will move back to left tackle. I think Clay said it well when he told me the coaches are just trying to give everyone a look at different things to cover for potential injuries down the road.

EDIT: On second thought, you’re right. I probably transposed those names. Gibson has been working at right guard, so it makes sense he’d be there and Wagner at tackle. Thank you for alerting me to that!

Any notes, observations, thoughts on these WRs that aren’t mentioned above:
Kolian Jackson (still recovering?)
Brandon Martin (grades?)
Michael Woods
Jordan Jones
Jarrod Barnes

Listening to Morris talk yesterday, it sounds like Wagner might be first up at right tackle if Wallace is unable to play at any point this season, which would probably bump Gatlin into the starting role on the left side.

Koilan Jackson: I’ve seen him on the field working with receivers and at punt return. I wrote the other day on the board that I liked the idea of him returning punts, but it may be Jared Cornelius’ job right now.

Brandon Martin: Not a factor in anything Arkansas is doing right now.

Mike Woods: Seems like every time coaches mention a player who makes a big play in live work, even back in the spring, Woods’ name is mentioned. I think he’s going to have a solid season.

Jordan Jones: Wrote about him last week. Chad Morris mentioned him by name as a guy who is ‘standing out’ in fall camp. I think he’s turned a corner and will see a good bit of playing time.

Jarrod Barnes: Told me early in camp he doesn’t exactly know what his role is going to be just yet. He’s looked fine in practices so far.