The Razorbacks worked special teams in the first couple of periods today, then went into their thud work. Here are a few notes from that segment of practice:
• Nick Starkel opened the thud period with a pass that was batted down at the line of scrimmage by safety Kam Curl. That has been kind of an issue for Starkel lately. He had three passes tipped by Rams defenders on Saturday. He then completed a pass to Treylon Burks, Devwah Whaley ran for a short gain, Starkel threw incomplete to De’Vion Warren, then he found Burks again. Rakeem Boyd began the series as the first team running back.
• Ben Hicks operated the second team offense. He completed a nice ball to Karch Gardiner for first-down yardage. Freshman corner Devin Bush was in coverage on the play. Hicks later threw incomplete for tight end Blake Kern and incomplete for freshman T.Q. Jackson. Cornerback Britto Tutt broke up the pass intended for Jackson.
• Defensively, lineman Jonathan Marshall stepped in for McTelvin Agim when the 1s went through thud work. I noticed that Agim was wearing a black sleeve on one of his legs. It could be nothing, but it is the first time Agim has not gone through this period. Also running with the first team defense alongside De’Jon Harris at linebacker was D’Vone McClure. He really played with a great deal of aggression on Saturday and made a couple of big hits. He finished the game with five tackles and 1/2 tackle for loss.
• Second team linebackers were Greenwood native Grant Morgan (13 tackles, 2.5 TFL) and Andrew Parker, who has not recorded a tackle this season. This might be the rotation Arkansas opts to roll with this weekend against San Jose State if Bumper Pool and Hayden Henry are unavailable.
• I mentioned Tutt earlier, he was working at the second team corner typically played by LaDarrius Bishop, who had the nice 25-yard scoop and score Saturday. Bishop ran with the first team during thud work as Montaric Brown deals with a “muscle strain,” according to Morris. Brown was present at practice and in standard white.
• Offensive lineman Colton Jackson was not present during the open portion today. During group drills, the first team OL was (L–>R) Myron Cunningham, Austin Capps, Ty Clary, Ricky Stromberg, Dalton Wagner.
Freshman receiver Trey Knox was in green today. He did not go through the thud work early in practice. Knox has 216 receiving yards and a touchdown this season on 13 catches. Not completely sure what the issue was, but as we were exiting the practice field today, Treylon Burks walked slowly into the indoor facility.
Bumper Pool was present and in green. He is battling a clavicle sprain, according to Morris. Jamario Bell, who has missed the last two games with a left knee injury, was back in the mix today and wearing a brace on the knee. He looked to be moving well from what I saw of his position group work. Bell and Pool did not take part in the thud work.
Chase Harrell, who wore a green jersey during the open portion of practice last Tuesday then upgraded to standard red the following day, was back in green for today’s workout. He has been dealing with a minor shoulder injury sustained in the season opener against Portland State. Harrell caught his first touchdown pass as a Razorback on Saturday vs. Colorado State.
LB Hayden Henry (shoulder, according to Morris on Monday)
OL Colton Jackson (unknown)
WR Jordan Jones (high ankle sprain; could return to practice this week)
WR Daulton Hyatt (Morris said last Wednesday that Hyatt has the flu)
DE Dorian Gerald (strained artery in neck; out for season)
WR Deon Stewart (ACL; out for season)
OL Noah Gatlin (ACL; out for season)