Potential change in BSB transfer rules

Link: Will Rule Change Bring Return Of Wild, Wild West?

Marty of the rule is changed in all sports that could be horrible!

I don’t have a problem with it. The NCAA has foisted a bunch of rules on athletes that probably are illegal under antitrust and labor laws, but gets away with it by claiming that athletes aren’t employees (news flash: They are). Any other student can transfer whenever and wherever he wants. Why should the ability to get open on a corner route, hit a three-pointer or turn the double play deprive these students of that freedom?

Speaking of which, you know where the term “student-athletes” came from? The NCAA invented it in the 1950s to get around providing workers compensation coverage to those non-employed employees, and somehow that worked. So they’ve been riding this horse of dubious legality for 60 years now.

We’ll lose some kids who transfer, sure, but we’ll also gain some. Just like happens now.

Swine, I agree with you most of the time, but not here. First, as to the restrictions on transfer. It makes sense, even if you think it is “unfair” (life isn’t always fair). It keeps the big dogs from lapping up what little talent the small dogs get, to some extent. Yes, a kid can still transfer, but that sitting out a year at least makes him or her pause. The rule just makes sense. I get that coaches get to leave school A and go to school B without sitting out, and no, comparing that to a student athlete not only looks unfair, but is unfair. But being unfair doesn’t mean the rule should die. There is no legal way (outside a non compete clause which IS very similar to the sit out one year rule, but can’t by law keep you from going anywhere, only a limited number of schools) to apply such a rule to coaches. Fair? No. Life? Yes. Just because you can’t do thing B doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do thing A.

By the way, this is what scares me about changing the rules “That was a time when transfers could be the lifeblood of major programs, and assistant coaches were dispatched to Cape Cod and other summer leagues to hunt for players who could transfer and provide an instant impact.” Open season. Bad idea.

As to being “employees” I personally don’t think they are. My son is on a academic scholarship. He is not an employee of the school. No, he doesn’t have to play sports for the school, but he does have to go to certain meetings, maintain a certain GPA, take a set number of classes, etc. etc. He doesn’t get Workmen’s Comp. He does pay taxes on part of the scholarship. If a football player ends up sucking, you don’t get to “fire” him and not pay his scholarship. Yes, you can not renew it (unless you have giving him or her a 4 year one), but that is only at the end of the year. I get that in some ways it is similar to being “employed” but to me, it is as much dissimilar as similar.

It’s a different situation than my job at the hospital, or your job as an attorney (assuming you work for someone else and not as proprietor of your own practice), but it’s still an employment situation. In exchange for that scholarship, you are given assignments which you must carry out (showing up for practice and meetings, “voluntary” offseason workouts that aren’t voluntary, learning the playbook, obeying curfew, etc.). If you don’t do those things, you won’t play and you won’t keep your scholarship. It’s not that much different than a unionized situation in the workplace (I recognize that is increasingly uncommon, particularly in Arkansas) where the union protects a worker from immediate termination for screwing up. He can still be terminated, but it will take a while. The third string linebacker who blows off team responsibilities will be terminated too, eventually.

I think they can allow players to transfer freely but limit the “open season” stuff from schools seeking to recruit transfers. Player must initiate contact with the school about transferring there, which IIRC is the rule most of the time anyway until he requests and receives a release.

Remember, for a long time, students in restricted scholarship sports could transfer freely. This was particularly helpful to the students who were cut in the fall. They could move on without penalty.

Good players are only going to be in school for three years (or two depending on their birthday). Sitting out a year is rough.

For those kids being cut I can say they should not have to sit out a year. Swine is right.
Harris would have been immediately available to play this year if that was the case.