Post TCU thoughts from a parent

Been slow to post because of working on other things but a parent of a commitment was astonished by the fan reaction after the TCU loss. This person wasn’t pleased by the outcome but was surprised by the reaction of the game and thinking kids were going to decommit left and right.

This just confirms to me the feelings I have regarding being a Razorback fan and the right and wrong ways of supporting the program, effecting change and dealing with disappointment. I view the Razorbacks as almost a family member and like I don’t find it appropriate to take my family issues public, I feel this same attitude should influence how freely and how strongly I go public in Hog related concerns.

Yes, I know these are message boards and they operate on freedom of speech and that many fans feel they own the program and many actually invest in the program, so they feel the program is answerable to them. With this mindset, it is not unusual for some to go overboard. This mindset is unlikely to change, but I would like to think we are better than the average fan base and that while we have many obstacles in recruiting and having the winning teams we want, the one obstacle we don’t have is a strong and unified fan base. We want better out of our administrators, coaches and players, so why not expect better of ourselves?

Well, the fans are upset with the results on the field lately. The craziness of message boards is normal considering this, it’s part of college football these days.

I was posting this on my phone and left out the parent saying the fans expecting kids to decommit after the game. I just added that at the end.

I have long emphasized that everybody plays a part in the process at every school.

Some just have a bigger part obviously starting from the top on down

But a lot funnels into the equation for kids and their parents

The question I always ask when this kind of stuff comes up (and I am not defending the idiots and what they say and post and tweet, etc.) is “Are the Arkansas fans any worse than other schools fans?”

I get that we don’t get to see (very often) how Alabama fans act after a TCU like game, but most other schools have those games.

While I would MUCH prefer that our fans be BETTER than other schools’ fans (yes it clearly would help in recruiting) if we are not any better or any worse than other schools, then it should have a zero sum effect. Wouldn’t it?

I don’t generally go to other schools Boards. I don’t know for the most part how fans act after a TCU like game, but my strong suspicion is they act about the same as our fans do.

Can DD or Richard tell me if we are better or worse or about average in our “idiot” level? (I don’t recall an Arkansas fan shooting his son after a loss the way a Bama fan did a few yeas ago).

I have no direct knowledge of this but my sense is that the idiot level of our fans is fairly high. Is it any higher than competing schools? I don’t know. My sense is that Alabama fans are really out there but they lose so seldom we don’t get a chance to find out.

Lord no Arkansas fans are not worse. In fact I’d argue they are more patient than many places as are administrators. If we’d have beaten Auburn 56-3 and they had collapsed against Missouri and Va Tech like we did do you think Gus would have been retained? No chance

IDK if the fan base is worse than others, but it’s best never to boo a junior high, high school or college team. Pros, yes. Booing a college team can affect recruiting, just as this parent has said. Will it? That’s another question. Fans can voice their displeasure best by closing their pocketbooks and not spending money on the “product.” But if they want win recruits and influence (future) outcomes, they should find other ways to voice their displeasure with the coaching staff.

I really have no way to judge that as I have not covered any other fan base in my 36 years of sports writing.

That’s why I do not called Arkansas’ fan base the worst or rank them.

Unless someone has covered every one of the Power 5 schools as a beat writer - which would make that person a vampire over 130-plus years old - I don’t think someone can make a fact-based assessment.

The constant at our old Hawgs Illustrated board was simply to not allow attacks on recruits.

I really have no way to judge that as I have not covered any other fan base in my 36 years of sports writing.

That’s why I do not called Arkansas’ fan base the worst or rank them.

Unless someone has covered every one of the Power 5 schools as a beat writer - which would make that person a vampire over 130-plus years old - I don’t think someone can make a fact-based assessment.

The constant at our old Hawgs Illustrated board was simply to not allow attacks on recruits.

I doubt Arkansas fans are worse than any other fan base, but I do wonder if the whole Nutt saga taught Hawg Nation a misguided lesson. Nutt kept the job longer than his performance warranted and wasn’t fired until lots of beyond-the-pale shenanigans like flyovers were performed as protests. Ever since, the message boards have been full of posters that are certain that the current coach must have a lifetime pass if said coach isn’t fired for cause in their estimation, an estimation that would in many cases have Arkansas changing coaches at the drop of a hat.

I think every fan base has the vocal minority that can often times makes the school look bad.