I assume many of you have seen the social media posts by Ark basketball players where Muss had the current players write a letter to a past Razorback who shared the same jersey number. It was really a meaningful experience for the letter writer and receiver.
Having some extra time on my hands, and being a Hog hoops nerd, I began to wonder who was the best Razorback for each jersey number worn. Sure enough, HogStats.com has a list of all the players who wore each jersey.
Here’s the link if you’re interested.
Some interesting (to me) observations…
Jersey numbers with the most great players:
- 10 – easily the jersey with the most greats – Ron Brewer, Todd Day, Ronnie Brewer, Bobby Portis, Daniel Gafford
- 24 – Joe Johnson, Lenzie Howell, Michael Qualls, U. S. Reed
- 44 – Marvin Delph, Martin Terry, Scott Hastings
Jersey numbers where the best player wasn’t all that great:
- 41 – Chris Walker
- 43 – Greg Skulman
- 45 – Walter Kearns (this one was difficult; Carey Kelly was the only name I knew)
- 50 – Larry Satchell
- 51 – Steven Hill
- 52 – Jack Schulte
- 53 – Robert Brannon (such a bruiser that after 2 years of moderate contribution to bb, he played a year of football as a DE, with again, moderate success.)
- 54 – Daryll Saulsberry (he’s really too good to be on this list but I just like his name and mustache)
Have Sidney’s and Corliss’ jersey numbers been officially retired or have coaches just discouraged their use so as to honor them? I don’t think 32 and 34 have been worn by anyone since they wore them.
Some interesting “who is better?” numbers:
- 00 - Mike Washington or Rashad Madden?
- 3 – Dusty Hannahs or Alex Dillard? Or even Andrew Lang?
- 4 – Courtney Fortson or Daryl Macon?
- 12 – Clint McDaniel, Kareem Reid, or Jannero Pargo?
- 15 – Mason Jones, Dwight Stewart, or Rotnei Clarke?
- 22 – Almer Lee or Pat Bradley? (Pat easily has the best numbers but Almer was so important for the future of Hog basketball)
- 23 – Teddy Gipson or Tarik Wallace?
- 31 – Ron Huery, Nick Davis, or Kent Allison?
- 33 – Marshawn Powell or Moses Kingsley
- 40 – Tony Brown or Sunday Adebayo?
- 55 – Dean Tolson, Derek Hood, or Mario Credit?
There are 37 available jersey numbers. The numbers I haven’t listed there were pretty obvious “best players”.
One last comment – for jersey # 2 I pick Wear Schoonover, over Alandise Harris and Adrio Bailey just because he is a great Razorback from the past as a football player, so maybe he was good at basketball too.