Point Guard and other thoughts after watching Friday' exhibition game

1. How do these little schools always seem to have a point guard that is quicker than any guard we have. SW Baptist’s point guard drove past our guards anytime he wanted to. Frankly he was better.

2. Gaffird can run the floor with anybody… Anybody. However other than a short baseline jumper most all of fis shots were fast break dunks or put backs. I saw no solid offensive moves. The competition wasn’t much last night. His free throw shooting is horrible. He will get fouled a lot and he needs to make them pay. 30% shooting ain’t going to cut it. I suspect he will get in foul trouble against some decent talent.

Young shooters looked good and was impressed with #13 Reggie Chandler. He is going to be a good power forward. I hope he gets to play with Gafford and not his backup. I hope one of young shooters becomes a little more aggressive. Need a take charge guy like a Todd Day. Our point guard made some impressive assists. His shooting is suspect.

Gabe O and A Bailey are decent utility players, but I doubt they would start for anyone else in the sec.

We are young,

#22 for them was a good player…fast and quick as a cat.

I can’t imagine Chaney not playing along with Gafford. Chaney has much more upside than any of the front court except for Gafford. We are going to need his size. Chaney made a couple of nice shots from 16 feet. He oozes talent.

Daniel, for whatever reason, doesn’t have a go to move and shot around the basket. If he did…he would be just unstoppable. He is just raw, but so athletic.

mike will start bailey ill bet, but i agree with you, chaney is by far the better player and definitely has the most upside.

#13 is Mason Jones and he is a SF/2G, not a PF. He is, however, a good rebounder for a SF. I assume you are referring to #35, Chaney as a good PF, and I agree. One problem Mike has this year, is he doesn’t have a decent replacement for Gafford, other than Chaney. When Gafford has to sit because of fouls, the only way Mike can keep a “semi-decent” rebounding team on the floor is to play Chaney and Gabe together. There’s no doubt in my mind that our most talented 5 are Gafford, Chaney, Joe, Jones, and Harris. We will probably see that line-up on the floor late in the 2nd half in close games.

[quote=“HarleyHawgidson”]

#13 is Mason Jones and he is a SF/2G, not a PF. He is, however, a good rebounder for a SF. I assume you are referring to #35, Chaney as a good PF, and I agree. One problem Mike has this year, is he doesn’t have a decent replacement for Gafford, other than Chaney. When Gafford has to sit because of fouls, the only way Mike can keep a “semi-decent” rebounding team on the floor is to play Chaney and Gabe together. There’s no doubt in my mind that our most talented 5 are Gafford, Chaney, Joe, Jones, and Harris. We will probably see that line-up on the floor late in the 2nd half in close games.

[/quote]

If Dan doesn’t start making free throws Mike may not be able to play him at the end of close games. It’s just inviting a Hack-a-Dan strategy.

we always allow PG to blow by us,can’t remember the last time we were good at stopping the dribble(we are supposed to be athletic),kills us against the good teams b/c we double them and leave a wide open 3’s

[quote=“SwineFusion”]

Yeah, Mike may have to go to offense/defense substitution at the end of games if Daniel hasn’t cleaned up his FT shooting. However, I expect Gafford to fix his FT problem shortly. It’s clearly a mental thing right now, as he has a decent stroke at the FT line. He just needs lots of repititions watching the ball go through the nets in practice.

Always seems like an overstatement. We beat the top 2 American PGs in the draft last year.

A good PG with decent speed should be able to get by most one on one defensive players with the cross over moves that are allowed now. Watch the You Tube of Macon in the G league, he was beating those guys off of the dribble when he wanted to. Just how the game has changed.

You must not recall that Gafford’s foul troubles steadily decreased from nonconference through SEC play, even as he was seeing better bigs in the SEC. Part of his value is altering shots by going after blocks liberally. He’s always going to use his fouls, but last season he learned how to pull back after he picked up a couple of early fouls in order to stay on the floor. He played 24+ minutes in 13 SEC games last season. Given the energy he expends, CMA would prefer to not need to play him no more than high 20’s in any case.

With all the new rules geared towards scoring more points its hard to stay in front of a quick guard one on one with no help.

You can push off, you can carry and you can walk most of the time. If the defense barely touches you its a foul. If you drive the lane and push off with your off hand its almost never called.

Just the way today’s basketball is.