Please Explain (again)

The new rule about being hit by pitch that keeps getting reviewed and then suddenly batter is called out after review?

You do not have to attempt to get away from being hit. You can “stand your ground “

But if you move any body part INTO a pitch it goes against you

Can’t lean into a pitch to get hit. It is a bad rule.

So basically if you’re fooled by a pitch causing you to lean in instead of move out and the ball hits you, you’re out??

How often do hitters lean in to purposely get hit by a pitch?
On a change up (which usually fools the batter as a FB anyway) or slow hanging curve or slider maybe.
Not on a 90-95+ FB I wouldn’t think.

The pitch is called a strike. If the batter has 2 strikes and gets hit. Upon review it is ruled in the judgement of the umpire it was intentional then it’s a strike “3” and the batter is out.

I get that if it’s in the strike zone, but my gosh, if it’s inside a foot, why does it matter. It should be called a ball upon review if anything

They want to stop batters from crowding the plate to get hit by pitch.

There was a team in the SEC a few years back (Kentucky I think) that was getting 4-5 hit by pitch a game and came close (or did set) to the SEC record.

You young guys should have seen Sal Maglie who was nicknamed “the barber” because if you crowded the plate the nexr pitch was very close to your chin. In those days pitchers were allow to get very close to batters with pitches but over the years the rules changed and batters now can lift that front leg and waylay a pitch, Maglie would have you flat of your back.

Bob Gibson would back you off the plate too. Better not dig in too hard

No, Gibson wouldn’t back you off the plate. He would nail you. It was not a brush back. It was a pitch in the back to hit the batter. He didn’t mess around. Just go ahead and drill them. And, again. And, again.

2 Likes

They have a statue of Gibson at Werner Park in Omaha (home of the Omaha Storm Chases AAA minor league team). Omaha is where Bob was born and lived until his death last October. We had a marketing deal with the team and I was visiting the marketing guy when we saw the statue. He said that Bob was not an easy guy to get along with and that he had refused to attended the dedication of the statue repeatedly. Finally someone contacted Joe Torre to see if he could talk Bob into appearing. Joe finally talked him into attending. Bob was no nonsense on and off the mound apparently.

I well remember Bob saying that if wanted to “back off” a batter, he would throw a “chin shave”. One time, the ump said Bob was trying to hit the batter. Bob said that if he intended to hit the batter, he would hit him. He would not miss. If the warning pitch did not back off the batter, the next one would put him on first, if he was able to get there.

Remember Don Baylor? He didn’t care. Hit me, I dare you

Remember Colin Kuhn?

Kuhn got hit a few times. Yes he did.

There is an outstanding in-depth article by Roger Angell, New Yorker magazine (published in 1980), on Bob Gibson. Anyone who loved or is fascinated by what molded and drove Gibson, as both a public and private person, will probably enjoy it. I would bet good money that you will learn something that you do not know before you read it.

Would post the url but not sure if that is kosher. One should be able to find it by a search using the first sentence of this reply, or send a pm if you wish.

URL is fine. Cut and paste isn’t.

Bob Gibson played angry sometimes. He was not an easy interview and sometimes didn’t do interviews period.

My mentor Bill Connors has some history with Bob. He told me stories.

Bob played basketball at Creighton and when they played games at Tulsa, he was not allowed to stay with the team. Had to stay in a black home in north Tulsa. That was not a good experience and Gibby never forgot it.

Years later when the Cardinals would come to Tulsa to play the last pre-season game after breaking camp, Bill would ask to speak to Gibson. He declined for several years in a row. Finally, they talked – in St. Louis – and Gibson unloaded the things that he’d been carrying about the basketball trips to Tulsa. It made for a compelling read.

I never read that column. It was done in the 70s, long before I arrived in Tulsa. Bill and I talked many times about it and the sad state of the way race relations were in the 60s (and before).

I know that Bill was proud of the University of Tulsa and Arkansas for hiring Nolan, whom he was sure was a great man (and coach).

Bill taught me a lot of subtle lessons through my 14 years working for him. Some of them were not so subtle.

I can recall being really proud of some suede (blue) low cut Converse All-Star basketball shoes I bought at age 28. I wore them to the office a few times. He pulled me aside and told me two things: don’t wear basketball shoes to work and don’t wear blue jeans. The last part has changed in a dramatic way. Almost all sports writers wear blue jeans now. I do. But there is a little in me still that wonders if that Bill is looking down from Heaven – and he is surely there – and frowning. (I do not wear tennis shoes to work.)

1 Like

Sad to think from the Civil War & Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation in1863 and amendment 13 in the constitution in 1865, that race issues of that magnitude continued on for over 100 years.

Geeze, no wonder Gibson had some pent up anger when on the mound.