Plate ump

I only caught the last 3 innings last night but there were several strikes called balls on Taylor and Tygart. Even the TV guys agreed. Was he that bad all night? Did he do the same against OM? I thought DVH was about to be tossed late in the game. Just curious.

Inconsistent zone. Squeezed the zone late.

1 Like

Yeah early on I thought he was doing a great job but all of a sudden the last two or three innings he had no clue. I don’t know if he was getting tired or what but it was definitely a different zone than it was earlier

1 Like

It has been pretty bad the last few weeks! The thing to remember don’t give the umpire the chance to make calls that can change the game.

1 Like

That strike zone got really tight when the starters came out.

1 Like

That’s good theory, but what’s a batter to do if he thinks he’s looking at ball 4 (that has been all night) and suddenly he’s rung up. I know if it’s close, you’ve got to try to foul it off, but when you need base runners & a pitch looks outside, a batter has to depend upon a reliable strike zone. Likewise, a batter has to swing & miss a pitch he’d rather. have taken when its one where an inconsistent ump could call it a strike. Batter has to make that decision in a split second. Bad umping makes it much more difficult.

I think that’s why you’re seeing some of our guys swinging some pitches that are six or eight inches off the plate because they’re afraid the umpire is going to ring them up. I know I’ve seen Wallace swing at balls way off the plate here recently and I think he’s trying to protect the plate. It’s a tough position to be in for a hitter.

1 Like

Exactly

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.