Pitch count is such a big deal now, why do they not......................

…track the number of throws to first holding the runner on too? Is the quick throw to first not as taxing on the pitcher as an actual pitch? I posted elsewhere about Martin’s speed being a mostly unexploited weapon, so far, stealing second. If he becomes a threat to steal, wouldn’t getting several throws to first holding him close help to wear down the starter and get to the bullpen quicker?

Everything is counted - pitches in the game, pitches in the bullpen, warmup pitches between innings and throws to a base.

I guess I should have phrased my question more clearly. Why do the commentators and analysts harp only on pitch count and not include how much if any the pitcher is having to throw to first to hold back a steal threat. I have seen more pitches to first than pitches to the plate before the batter is out or on. Just wondering why the broadcasters don’t mention it. I am sure Van Horn and Johnson are well aware of it.

I’ve wondered the same thing. If those pitches are counted, they’re not disclosed. The coaches might be keeping up, but the fans & TV don’t know.

I’d also like to know if the throws to first are as tiring as a pitch to the plate. I doubt they are, but they’d still have to affect the arm to some extent.

Matt, I have to admit having watched and followed the sport for many moons, I was not aware of this. It makes perfect sense that somebody would monitor and note this, but do you think it actually impacts the manager’s decision to yank a pitcher? I have never heard anything other than actual in-game pitch count referenced in public discussion on the matter.

The closest thing that comes to mind is a manager explaining why a reliever who warmed up for a long time the previous night but didn’t get into the game, was also not used the next night in a relief role.

The coaches always know what the total number might be, but I didn’t know they count throws to first. I do know they are aware of the full hot pitches that are thrown in the bullpen. If I guy got up two or three times and got to full ready all three times, they might consider that they burned him that day and not use him the following day. I’ve heard the number of bullpen pitches mentioned in what a coach considered his total. I guess the throws to first could be considered not full blown pitches, depending on how they throw over there.

Why is it there used to be an era where you had guys on a 4 day rotation in the (60’s and 70’s), throwing 130 pitch CGs and less arm injuries? Or were there as much arm injuries and it was not reported.

Nolan Ryan would pitch 150 pitches a night for years (with all his Ks and Walks) and he was a rock.

Any theories? To much weight training possibly.