Penny Hardaway

Is not a good basketball coach. Waste of a lot of talent under him. Grateful for Muss.

1 Like

He can’t coach them much, can he? Georgia needed a good win. Loss tonight would have put them at 2-6.

1 Like

Wow that’s a horrible loss. To 3 - 5 Georgia.

1 Like

With that talent? Really? So sad, :laughing: Penny is not a good basketball coach, nor is Juwan Howard. Penny might want to de-frost Larry Brown if he wants to get anything out of his top 5 class. I agree, I’m glad we have Muss. He is an actual basketball coach.

1 Like

It’s a shame the way the media talks about Penny and Howard on how great they are. Our coach Muss is the real deal…

1 Like

They are great in some respects.

They are only great in how they played. They have recruited well so far, but now they’ve been exposed as terrible coaches. Wish I could say I was surprised, but I’m not. Re-open the Memphis pipeline for the Hogs!

1 Like

In what respects, exactly? Memphis looks pretty mediocre across the board to me. But the Tigers will probably stumble their way into the NCAA tournament based on sheer talent alone. I would LOVE for Arkansas to play Memphis in the 2nd round.

With the talent on that Memphis roster, they should be embarrassed to lose to a team as bad as Georgia.

1 Like

No matter how much talent you have on any given night you can get beat by anyone! Players have to lace em up and play their game.
Name is what Penny the job at Memphis! His ability to coach X’s and O’s May not be the same as Muss but he can recruit. The ability to motivate and lead takes time. With the entitled generation of athletes today that have been told how great they are for years that a difficult task!
Georgia beating Memphis is good for the SEC so I’m fine with it.

1 Like

What I see is a bad mixture of players on Memphis. I coached AAU for 12 years and have seen a little of everything. This team reminds me of an AAU team with loads of talent but lots of un coachable kids.

I watched them against Iowa State and on two separate plays Bates tried to cheap shot a player after either turning it over or getting scored on. Bates was made out to be a superstar by all the online videos of him dunking on people. He complains constantly about everything while he’s on the court.

Most of that team trash talks the entire game. Just like in an AAU game, this usually back fires when you get down.

They play full court man to man most of the game. When it fails they get scored on easily. If you want to see some turnovers just watch Memphis. They have got to lead the country in turnovers.

Just because you played in the NBA doesn’t always make you coaching material. Penny went out to get Larry Brown to help? God bless Larry Brown but the man is 81 years old. Can he really relate to todays players and the way the game has changed? When he won in college he was cheating his tail off. Rasheed Wallace - great NBA player, lets not forget Corliss ate him up in college…lol…but is he really a D1 assistant coach?

I think this team is destined to fail. Lot of dudes that only care about getting to the NBA and trying to put up numbers this year = overrated college team.

4 Likes

I know you have more experience with the kids these days and I know that I am a dinosaur when it comes to way so many people see things these days, but I tend to think that the quick route to professional sports and chasing the payday has not been especially good for college sports. I know so many young athletes are not economically advantaged, thus the quick route to making a living is understandable and admirable in many cases, but seems a little patience, mentoring, and heaven forbid education might provide a longer term success story. Regardless, the coaches who have the ability to lead a team and create the system and results they want are pretty special in this new world. I think we have some on our campus and I appreciate what they do for both the athletes and the University.

3 Likes

Does my heart and mind good to see Tiger High lose, I have nothing but disdain for Hardaway. MSU has been a deep cheating school for over fifty years.

3 Likes

I’ve posted this before, but it applies here. I distinctly remember an interview where Coach K talked about how the 5* one-and-dones were equal part blessing and curse because you have to work twice as hard to get the new team to gel quickly. Calipari has talked about this as well. I actually believe them both. (I’m sure as heck not crying for them, but I see their point.)

I think you either need to be a damn good coach to win with these one-and-done kids today, or you need to have talent that can mature together for a couple of years.

I just don’t think Penny has the coaching chops for it right now—he might in the future.

It took dollars to get a Penny to stay home and play years ago… this team is full of the same. When you recruit kids based on money, they are always looking for a higher payday in the future and rarely satisfied. Penny is getting what he paid for.

2 Likes

I saw some quotes from Penny after last night, basically that his players were playing for themselves and not for the team.

2 Likes

Karma.

2 Likes

I worked for Footlocker in the Mall of Memphis when Penny was in high school. The first cell phone, that wasn’t in one of those bags, I saw when Penny walked in Footlocker one day with it in his back pocket. They called them brick phones back then.

I told him I was a big hog fan and I hoped he would choose to be a hog. He told me there was no other place he wanted to go. He would come in at least once a week and we would talk basketball and the hogs.

I remember like yesterday being at Footlocker with the radio on K97 the day Penny was committing. I was so excited to hear him say he was going to be a Razorback. The radio DJ, Stan the Man, came on and said Penny was staying home and going to Memphis. I was pissed!

A few days later Penny comes in and I said what happened man! He laughed and rubbed his fingers together, you know the money sign. I was done with dude after that. He would try to joke with me about it from time to time but I just blew him off. But let me tell you, that dude could flat out ball. One of the greatest high school players ever in my opinion.

7 Likes

Great story! Penny always said he didn’t come to Arkansas because his grandma didn’t want him to leave town, but I always knew it was about the money. Always figured “Blue Chips” was autobiographical.

1 Like

Bought and paid for. He needs to be assisting a real, proven coach and applying his real value in recruiting.

1 Like

Ole Miss is turning over the Tigers today.

Players coming off the court arguing with Penny.

Memphis looks bad

1 Like