Penn State finds new way to lose

They had the ball at the Indiana 14 in the final two minutes, ahead 21-20, with a chance to run out the clock. Their running back breaks through the line, realizes he needs to stop, and does – six inches over the goal line. Touchdown, 28-20. Indiana comes down, scores and gets the 2 with 22 seconds left to force overtime. Penn State scores first in OT. Indiana scored, went for 2 with their QB diving at the pylon, and the review lasted five minutes before they decided the call stands and the 2-pointer was good. IU won 36-35. But if the back takes a knee at the 1 the game is over.

Aloha Jeff,

If I remember correctly, CSP covered this scenario during preseason practice.

GHG!

What did he say? It’s hard for me to think of a kid taking a knee in this situation. Yes, the odds are with you getting into the end zone but there’s no guarantee.

Watching the replay it looked like his teammates might have been yelling at him not to score. And he stopped, but six inches too late.

It appears that PSU fans aren’t happy with James Franklin for more than just giving IU a chance to come back. Not too happy with the Big Ten refs either, including the replay decision to let the 2-pointer stand.

With regard to the “controversial call” only, it was the right call.

People focus on the tail of the ball contacting the ground just before it contacted the pylon. That would be conclusive IF the ball were lined up with the sideline. But the forward (top) tip of the ball was INSIDE the pylon. So, it could well be that it (top, forward tip) touched the front of the plane of the goal line before (a) the bottom tip hit the ground and/or (b) the ball itself made contact with the pylon. The ball was also moving from inside the field of play toward the out of bounds line. So, the top/forward tip crossed the goal a millisecond before the bottom tip made contact with the ground, and then the ball contacted the inside of the pylon - in that order.

IMO, this is exactly what happened. But more than that, I’d agree that there was NOT definitive proof that it did not. Therefore, the call on the field HAS to stand, and it did.

Correct ruling

1 Like

Besides the late game gaff, Penn St beat themselves with costly mistakes and TO’s.

Kudos to the Indiana team winning and the coaching staff letting the Penn St. player walk into the end zone giving them more time to score and put it into OT. Don’t hand the ball to a running back and expect them to think through the situation… it should have stayed in the hands of the QB with specific instructions from the staff. That’s all on the coaching staff… great coaching by one and bad on the other.

I would absolutely hard coach the taking the clock, seem like Switzer’s kid did the same as INdiana when opposition was allowed to score TD and get an 8 point lead against UAPB. Certainly an absolute in NFL, it is just situational awareness and an ugly win is still an ugly win no matter how many points were scored. I don’t want a kid who does not recognize that fact.

Funny stuff. Penn St’s defense didn’t stop 'em w less than 2 minutes to go. Penn St D didn’t stop 'em in overtime and didn’t stop a two point conversion. The kid scored a touchdown, HE LOST the GAME.
One play did it! :sunglasses:

I don’t blame the player. If the coach wants him to stop short of the goal line, you better coach him to stop. And coach em on it until they do it. And if they don’t, you did a poor job of coaching them. Time and score are critical. You better get it right or that’s what happens. Franklin will be leaving Penn State soon. He will feel the heat and bolt. It’s an incredibly small tight football community. No place to hide.

1 Like

Interesting take. Not an alum, but his home state. Leaving on his own to take a less pressurized job.
I see the national media is all over him for losing yesterday. Must be pretty hot in College Park.

No team ever lost game by scoring.

1 Like

Wrong. Penn State absolutely lost that game by scoring. It’s pure clock management. IU did have one timeout left but State could have run out the clock by kneeling three times. PSU left them a minute and a half too much time by scoring.

You can argue, correctly, that it should have never gotten to that situation. But once it did, you can’t hand the other team a lifeline.

The Penn State defense lost the game.

Bad clock management put the defense in a situation where it could lose. Defense should have never come back on the field.

Clock management issues happen a lot in college games. But it’s a tough way to lose because you scored and left another team a chance.

I once saw PA let their opponent score so that they would get the ball back in time to score, convert a two point conversion and tie the game.

It didn’t work, but they got close.

Reminds me of the video of a game a decade or more ago - defense flopped in the red zone so the other team scored, with time remaining, so their offense could get the ball back with time to score. Was it UAPB that did that? Not sure it worked, but I remember at the time that it made sense.

Alternative Universe. The runner goes down at the 6 inch line. QB fumbles the snap and defense recovers. Recovering team gets within field goal range and the kicker wins the game. Now which is going to be more controversial? The player chose not to score sure TD and his team ended up losing.

Again, Arm Chair QB is easy, but usually BALONEY. :sunglasses:

Lo and behold, the same thing happened today in the NFL, and the guilty party knew and admitted he’d screwed up. Atlanta could have run the clock down and kicked a winning FG, but the TD left Detroit just enough time to win,

But no, a bunch of fans on a message board know more football than he does. :crazy_face: