PAT blocking philosophy seems interesting

I’m not sure but it seemed we do an old school still wall type thing with the line vs traditional blocking.

Not sure if that impacted some, but seemed odd if I saw correctly.

One of a few questions it seems weekly with special teams.

On a kick off return it seemed almost everyone missed blocks on one of them as well

It looked to me they did not attack the defenders and maybe actually retreated, I thought you engaged the defender to limit their ability to jump. While I don’t actually think the block was by a front lineman, by getting a push on the d line, it would seem to make the second level a little farther from the kicker, allowing a little more time for the kick to gain elevation. The kick appear low, but hopefully the staff still takes time to learn and teach from this failure.

I agree. It seemed strange to me.

It looked like the kick was a low line drive.

That kick was way low. He wasn’t even past the line of scrimmage.

The blocked short FG in the LSU game was due to?
Was that a different issue than blocked PAT at Mizzu?
I wasn’t watching that game just listening.

The LSU block was by a player that had clear sailing to the kicker off the edge. Mizzou blocked by leaping at the line of scrimmage…

Thanks lilhawg, so that’s at least 3 issues to resolve on the FG unit still.

1. Unblocked player from the edge getting to kicker
  2. Accurate Snap and ball placement
  3. Low kick allowing block at LOS

And I think you could add kicking the ball into the upright.

Lift the LSU kick and the side attacker might not get a hand on it, or enough to keep it from going through. That kick came off low also.

I guess I was more curious about the actual blocking during PATs.

What I thought I saw once or twice during Missouri was some linemen standing still after the snap and not blocking.

Looked like that was by design.

Thought curious if I saw correctly.

I don’t see anything unusual compared to the past or with other teams. The down linemen create a wall and simply “hunker down”. It is now illegal, I believe, to hurdle a lineman if they start with their hand on the ground. What you have to do is jump straight up - really high for most kickers, not so high for others - or create a push. The upright, corner blockers (is there a special label or name for them?) connect to the outside down lineman so there is no access (there was for LSU) and drop the outside foot far enough back so that the wide rusher has to go around to launch and block.

I have noticed that some teams overload the strong side because the holder will “cheat” a bit to the middle of the field, offsetting the distance from one side to the other by the equivalent of one lineman. It gets the ball in a more favorable spot for the kicker - less of an angle.

The outside guy is a wing back. The way to eliminate inside rush is to overlap stance to tighten the wall.

Opposing players are not supposed to hit the snapper. You are not supposed to even line up over the snapper.

Good info. Thanks for filling in the gaps.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.