Out of curiosity...

Is it strictly legal for a ball carrier to be carried across the goal line? Mind you, I’m not complaining.

They never call the O-line or others pushing from behind. I can’t recall the last time it was called.

Rule 9.3.2. It is legal to push the ball carrier, or the pile, toward the goal line. It is not legal to grab the ball carrier and pull him forward. I think the word “pull” is the key here.

Either our QB has a talent for levitation, or he was being more than pushed. At least that’s how it appeared to me on the replay. Watch his feet.

Either our QB has a talent for levitation, or he was being more than pushed. At least that’s how it appeared to me on the replay.

Yeah his feet were off the ground. From replays it looked he was simultaneously hit down low by TCU, and up high by Ragnow, in addition to him pumping legs hard leading to him having both feet off the ground. Frank definitely was just pushing him and did not lift him up IMO.

https://twitter.com/musikfan4life/status/774812752762269696

Nothing against the rules about pushing. Just can’t be in front pulling.

I’ve noticed the last two weeks that Austin typically runs straight up and doesn’t lower his shoulder before he is tackled, the winning TD last night being another example of that. He needs to protect himself better. Tough young man, but we can’t afford to have him out with an injury…

I see what you’re talking about, but I think the point at which he “levitates” is after he had hit the plane of the goal line. The pushing started before that, but his floating/carrying was just across the line.

NCAA changes the rule a couple of years ago. If you remember back in 2006 (the year USC played Texass in the NC game), the Trojans were on the Notre Dame goal line with just a few seconds left in regulation. Matt Leinart tried to sneak the ball in, was stopped at the goal line, and Reggie Bush pushed him over in what would be called the “Bush Push”. It was illegal at that time, which is why so many were upset when it wasn’t called in that game (although I’m not sure any ref would’ve called it at that critical juncture).

Ragnow should definitely get a helmet sticker for his push/carry on Allen. Great Play! We all gotta’ be really proud of the Hogs.

So, I take it is as long as the “pusher” is behind the runner just about anything goes. I held my breath after the replay wondering if Patterson had a case for a review.

So, I take it is as long as the “pusher” is behind the runner just about anything goes. I held my breath after the replay wondering if Patterson had a case for a review.

I wasn’t aware of exactly when the rule was changed, but I do remember the “Bush Push” controversy and later noticed that OL guys started shoving the pile downfield in situations like this. You never used to see that (being illegal is a good reason not to see it). Seems like on third and 1 or fourth and 1 you would assign a couple of linemen to loop around behind and shove the pile past the sticks/goal line. Which is pretty much what Ragnow did.