Our program heritage 35 years ago

[youtube]LpRUhY_bQ84[/youtube]

Brings back great memories. I was there . I wished we could get back there.

That was so much fun! We need the good times to return.

I was there also, and it was absolutely electric. We were in the top 10-15 all season. Unfortunately we had little success in postseason that year. Barely beat an average A&M team in the SWC tournament, then lost by 1 to Houston in the finals after trailing by double digits most of the game. Then we lost our first game in the NCAA tournament, which would be the equivalent of losing in the 2nd round now. Lost to a decent Virginia team, the year after Ralph Sampson left. The Hoos managed to upset their way to the Final Four that year. If we had not lost to Virginia, we would have had a pretty good path to the Final Four, we were a 2 seed in the East, and number one ranked North Carolina got upset by a good but not great Indiana team in the Sweet Sixteen. This was the same year we beat top ranked UNC in Pine Bluff, by the way.

As I look back at the roughly ‘77 to 2001 days when we only missed two NCAA tourneys, I think of games like this at Barnhill.

Big stage against Phi Slamma.

Barnhill on fire and national reputation.

Not a great team, but definately NCAA team and had some nice games on national stage.

Many memories over all those years in Barnhill and BWA.

Another thing I remember it didn’t matter who we were playing either at Barnhill or Walton they were both sold out with people in the seats. We were loud,we knew we WERE NOT going to lose. The other teams coming in knew they WERE NOT going to win. I sure miss those days they were fun.

Those were the days when you had very few choices in Fayetteville. You could stay at the Holiday Inn, or the Mountain Inn. And, you could eat at Herman’s, or maybe drive to Springdale to eat at AQ Chicken. Otherwise, options were slim. Ish Haley’s parents had a diner near Dickson and College. That was good for breakfast. And, if you wanted a cup of beer, you went to Maxine’s Tap Room. That’s about what you got, too, a plastic cup of beer. And, who remembers going to the Skating Rink west of town?

My dad generally stayed at the Holiday Inn. I remember riding with him to a basketball game and there was a surprise bit of snow afterwards as he was finishing his story. I came in from moving the car from the media lot to next to Barnhill. I told him it was snowing. Could we still drive back to Little Rock? I actually lived in Conway and he was going to drop me off. I had to be at work at the Log Cabin at 6 a.m. the next morning.

He got on the phone to the Holiday Inn. Do you have a room? No. What would you do if the president called? You’d have a room for him, right? Yes. Well, I’ll take that one, he’s not going to be here tonight. The lady liked that so much she found a room that was a bit broken. Maybe the shower didn’t work, but we got it that night. We left early the next morning because the snow wasn’t much. And, I got to Conway about 7 a.m. with my story about Marvin Delph already written, and a memory of staying in the president’s room at the Holiday Inn.

That was pretty funny, actually. I will try to remember that one in case it’s needed.

Clay, all the fraternity boys and sorority girls would go to the Rink on Friday and Saturday to drink and dance. We had live bands in the 60’s. I’ve gotten drunk many a time at the Rink with my dates. I don’t remember much about it, except a couple of local bands…Grandmother’s Cookies used to play there and so did Daddy Jack Fryer and his band. To this day I can’t stand the smell of bourbon because it reminds me of getting sick and barfing outside the Rink in the parking lot.

I was an SAE back then, and we also used our dining room for live bands and our dances, too. We had the Drifters of “Down by the Boardwalk” fame play at our house.

I have great memories of shooting pool at Roger’s Pool Hall on Dickson, and Roger used to fix me one of his chili dogs. Those were really great tables. When I was a freshman, the Rockwood Club, a night club, was still open there on College. We used to drink beer with jocks at the Huddle Club on College, too.

This kind of basketball is over and will never return to college basketball.

This is the era of “one and done”.

This is the era of “business decisions”.

This is the era where it ok to cheat, pay players and everyone turns a blind eye as long as the money flows.

Universities care more about corporate sponsorship than fans who might actually be interested.

I’ve resigned myself to not attending and watching occasionally on TV. I just don’t care if they win or lose with the same passion because I have no power to change anything.

And I’ve been a fan since the early 70’s. I was there for Barnhill, Barnhill south and the glorious years of Nolan.

Wasn’t Houston ranked #1 in this game when we beat them? So we beat two #1 ranked teams in the same season? I seem to remember we beat Houston/Akeem once when they were #1.

[quote=“Jhawg”]

That was pretty funny, actually. I will try to remember that one in case it’s needed.

Clay, all the fraternity boys and sorority girls would go to the Rink on Friday and Saturday to drink and dance. We had live bands in the 60’s. I’ve gotten drunk many a time at the Rink with my dates. I don’t remember much about it, except a couple of local bands…Grandmother’s Cookies used to play there and so did Daddy Jack Fryer and his band. To this day I can’t stand the smell of bourbon because it reminds me of getting sick and barfing outside the Rink in the parking lot.

I was an SAE back then, and we also used our dining room for live bands and our dances, too. We had the Drifters of “Down by the Boardwalk” fame play at our house.

I have great memories of shooting pool at Roger’s Pool Hall on Dickson, and Roger used to fix me one of his chili dogs. Those were really great tables. When I was a freshman, the Rockwood Club, a night club, was still open there on College. We used to drink beer with jocks at the Huddle Club on College, too.

[/quote]Seems that River City was a popular Rink band during the early 70’s. Fayetteville was really pretty small town, I just did not know different, because it seemed to be center of the Universe to me at that time. 45 years later neither me nor the football and basketball teams are all that salty!

Houston was ranked 2nd behind North Carolina. We also beat what became a Top 10 Oklahoma team, so we had 3 victories over Top 10 teams.

I remember that game so well. Particularly Joe Kleine’s reaction when Olajuwan fouled out.

Interesting listening to the commentators talking about a team “getting right back in it” when there was only a 5-6 point deficit. Today that’s nothing. Of course, there were no 3 point shots then. Even though Sutton’s teams played more of a slow down, half court game, that was a pretty high scoring affair–particularly when one considers some of those long FG’s that only counted as 2 then.