Our Defense is so vanilla

we line up with 4 DL, 2 LB and 5 DBs 95% of the time. When I watched the Bama vs Texas A&M game you had guys moving around pre-snap disguising the rush and coverage. We typically rush 4, occasionally a LB or 2, but for the most part we line up with the LBs in the gap and then they bail out and cover.

Of course some (maybe most) of it is talent? What schools did we beat out for the majority of our starters? A few P5 schools, but for the most part we beat out the “have-nots”.

We seem to be hoping that our D-line is going to dominate, and they aren’t. I’m tired of hearing the back 7 blamed for all our failings. For the second year in a row the D-line seems to have been overhyped. If they were all that, we wouldn’t be in the bottom 50% in the nation in sack percentage and last in run defense.

We seem to be hoping that our D-line is going to dominate, and they aren’t. I’m tired of hearing the back 7 blamed for all our failings. For the second year in a row the D-line seems to have been overhyped. If they were all that, we wouldn’t be in the bottom 50% in the nation in sack percentage and last in run defense.

This +1

If you want a good overview of our defense, just go back and watch the very first play by Auburn. They’ve been watching our defense and knew exactly what they wanted to do on the first play.

The play was designed to run right at Wise. Was Wise doubled teamed? No. He wasn’t even blocked. They were so concerned about our best defensive end that they decided to run right at him and not even try to block him. He wasn’t touched by design and took himself out of the play. How about the LBs? Surely they were a concern. Not much, although they did block them. The LBs took themselves out of the play and probably didn’t even need blocked. The DBs? They did their usual arm holding affair out with the receivers and allowed themselves to be a non issue.

That first play was so indicative of what we do most plays.

Here is the play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7A-DlpMErc
Just watch what Wise does. It’s amazing they knew he didn’t need blocked even though they ran right by him.