OTL-NWA Real Estate

My fears are probably not justified. My father in law has a place in Madison County that has a well. Poor flow and water does not taste good. His late mother in law had a place about a 1/2 mile away from him, great flow, great tasting water. My fear is to buy the land, spend big bucks drilling a well and either coming up dry (still got to pay for it is my understanding) or coming up with “bad” water.

I forget now if had the water tested before starting or not. I think I did and where my house is, I have not heard anything about bad water. I was told by the well company guy that in this immediate area the ground water is consistant and easy to install a well.
But the water in some areas of the country is getting degraded…

Good to know, I might reconsider that one track. It had a good location. I never got as far as going to see it due to the water issue.

I have no idea what it cost to drill a residential well. Need to find out.

My was about 900 dollars in 87, but the county charges 1200 now to hook onto an existing water line.

I had to build a home here in Fayetteville 2 years ago. The inventory of homes to buy was very low in my price range, so I bought a lot and had a home built. The town has grown so fast that the demand has exceeded the supply of homes. The law of supply and demand at work, plus the increase in building materials has made the cost of homes rise.

We bought a house in Benton County a little over two years ago. It has increased in estimated value by 20% during that time. The house we sold has also increased in estimated value by about 19.3%. Houses priced between 200,000 and 300,000 go really fast.

The cost of a well can be expensive depending on the depth. We live on a ridge. I was told that drilling the well as it is now on a similar location would be $6,000 right now. It cost $4,000 in 2005 when the house was built. A friend is building a house on a different ridge above the White River a few miles away. He may be a bit higher in elevation than us. He was told by his neighbors exactly what to expect as far as water quality and depth. It’s going to cost around $7,500. You won’t know for sure until you drill.

Well water in this area is top notch. According to the tests from the state, it’s got some decent mineral properties that are good for you and nothing bad. We love it.

We were worried at first and drank bottled water. We have a high grade water softening unit and don’t have any issues with stain.

The flow is incredible. We can water grass if we want without any restrictions that come with drought in a city system.

The key is to check with neighbors where you are building. They will be able to tell you what flow and quality are going to be before you drill. They will know the depth. Of course, it’s not a fool proof way of knowing, but it’s probably going to turn out to be exactly like their well results.

We had city water at our weekend place in Cotter. Horrible water. I didn’t like the taste and it left a stain that was tough to remove on the toilet bowl and sink. We installed washer and dryer and left them because we felt like the internal parts probably were stained.

The moral of this last story is that water is not always a simple thing. Good well water can be better than city water.

Of course, septic tanks and septic fields are an entirely different subject. Believe it or not, we had a septic tank with the first home we purchased in the heart of Tulsa (47th and Columbia). Hard to believe. We were contacted by the city several times to ask if we wanted to be added to the sewer system. It was going to be $3,000 (and that was in the 80s and was a lot of money). We declined. Eventually, the septic tank failed due to a faulty baffle (not sure if that is the right word) where the line from the house connected to the top of the tank. It was a $600 fix.

It probably could have been fixed cheaper than $600. But we had hired a guy who cut an old fashioned deal. He said the baffle (???) was probably the problem. It would be a fairly cheap fix, maybe $100. But if it was a collapsed tank, it could be $4,000 to remove and replace. He’d give me a $600 quote either way. I was told to jump at it. Turned out it was a two-hour fix and just the baffle. He found the outside of the tank with a rod, then dug to the baffle and replaced it. Good as new, he said. And, he estimated that the shape of the tank was good forever. That was good peace of mind.

2 Likes

I have gotten several phone calls in the last few days about selling my house. Next time I am going to get their information and report them.

We had our last house on the market for a while and took it off. Realtors called me repeatedly about selling our house and were very annoying. Our realtor was top notch and a friend to boot. I began getting their name and number then I would tell them they would be reported for ethics violations since I already had a realtor. Most hung up quickly and a few stumbled around with excuses.

It became a game for me. I’m easily entertained. Suzi just shook her head. But our realtor thought it was the funniest thing she ever heard. And she did sell our house when we were ready and helped us close on our retirement condo.

We are on septic at our cabin outside of Clinton. We didn’t have any type of inspection when we bought it (bought it from a friend at a steal of a price, no realtors, just a closing at the title company). I always figured that the “septic system” was a 55 gallon drum buried in the hillside. I was right. We started having issues in the summer of 2019. We had owned the place for 11 years by then, it lasted longer than I figured it would.

We got a septic company to come out, yes, we had to replace the whole system. The bad part was the wait. By the time we got a system designed, approved by the state and installed, it was 4 months or more. I was happy to get out for about $4,500. I now have a new system and if I sell the place that will help!

Heard an interesting story about wells this morning at breakfast. No, I didn’t bring up the topic. A friend eating with me at Norfork Cafe was involved in the construction of two houses near us about 25 years ago. The same crews were building both homes, beautiful custom homes built for two Memphis doctors. The well heads are near the shared property line. So they were drilled in close proximity. Basically, the drilling crew turned the truck around to drill the second well. They needed to go 450 feet deeper for the second well. That’s insane. I guess that highlights my thought that they are usually similar depths to a neighbor’s well, but not always.

1 Like

Water well drilling is tricky. Unless you know an old timer that can find it (witching). The trick is to find it and drill it to the depth where an underground stream is. Hit that just right and you will have a good well that won’t dry up up in summers and stays nice and cool year round. Most likely it will have some iron or a lot of iron in it which can be filtered out easily. Little iron has no taste water stays clear, but over time it will turn tubs, sinks, dish and clothes washers brown and white clothes dingy. Lot of iron and you may get brown water when well is low.
Drill to deep or miss the stream and you may get that dreaded copper and/or sulpher taste. More expensive filtering required.
Pump placement in the well is another important factor. (High output submersible pump is best & usually matched with well depth). Usually set at 5-10 feet off bottom preferably up in the cased portion (if it’s a cased well), but not critical as long as the pump has guides to keep it centered in the well off the sides, especially if located below the cased portion.
Home water test kits are available at Lowe’s & Home Depot. Test the water when drilled initially and install filtering system per that data. Down line from the pressure tank. Proper pressure tank is another key component.
Test the water periodically 1-2 times a year. Before the filter and after the filter each time.

I had a well dug 4 years ago here next to Stockton lake. The depth was about 450’. My total cost with well house cover ( mine is a concrete structure that was placed over the pressure tank and other components) wiring, pic pipe trenching was $13,000. Dont fool yourself it’s not just as simple as drilling a hole

2 Likes

I have a 80 foot deep bored well 36 inches in diameter with 40 feet of water. I have been here 34 years now and once had to replace the pump but with a bored well the pump is out in the open on top of the well and much cheaper to maintain. Luckily for me, the ground water is abundent and no one around here has ever had a well run dry, even in droughts. The whole area is basically flat land.

Way to pace yourself… :rofl:

1 Like

Down here in the DFW issue we essentially have no homes, inventory levels are that low. Any that come on the market and it is a bloodbath to win the deal. It is a great time if you are selling but the bad part is you probably won’t have anywhere to go. Your best bet is if you can qualify for the new one without selling the existing one then at least you have a home to live in while trying to get under contract on another one then sell it after and do a recast. I will never see another year in the mortgage industry like 2020 - NEVER! As a result of it, it is really impacting the real estate side of things!

Aloha,

Realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but what are considered the better neighborhoods to live in NWA? Good logistics, shopping, quality housing, recreation, etc…

GHG!

My brother in law moved from Fayetteville to Farmington about 2 years ago. It’s away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to everything IMO. His house has appreciated a lot in those 2 years.

I think a lot of it has to do with what schools you will be attending.

You will pay more for east side of town and as you pay more, you will see fewer college kids. We learned the hard way when we downsized in 2001. We were out Weddington Drive for 6 years and were enveloped by frat/sorority renters. We bailed and found something much bigger in 2009 on East side in a sub division near Botanical Gardens.