OT: Taunted by the Norfork

Actually, my wife probably taunted me. I was at my desk all day working on our baseball preview. She came in from a walk. She said, “What’s wrong with you. I just came down the road next to the river and it’s low water. It’s 63 and no wind. Go fish! This is the nicest day of 2022!”

Well, she had a point. I got to the river at 4 pm and fished the last hour of daylight. It was gorgeous, my first day to fish in what has been a busy 2022.

First fish to eat my midge was a BIG brown. I worked it really close before it came unbuttoned. I would guess it was at least 20 inches. Solid fish.

The next was a 14 inch rainbow I netted. I didn’t count but it was steady catching until I quit at 5.

I was in the middle of the catch and release, my favorite stretch of the river. My root beer midge was what they wanted to eat.

6 Likes

You’re a lucky man living close to a beautiful River like that… I love the water. So peaceful

1 Like

I am blessed in many ways. I understand and I’m thankful.

4 Likes

Wait–Your wife didn’t come in and raise all kinds of heck about all of the chores that she had come up with that you had not completed but encouraged you to go fishing! What a woman!!

1 Like

Absolutely true. She suggested it. She does not like it when I sit at my desk for hours. Bad on skeletal system. She wants me to move around. When I fish, I cover ground. Hike the islands. Walk the gravel bars. She knows that is good exercise and she wants me to do that.

I’m not much for walking our road. But I’ll walk and hike in the river.

1 Like

It was a beautiful day here in Florida too. First day in several without wind. I headed to one of the ponds at this RV park and tried to get a Florida bass on my fly rod and bass bug. Wind came back up which made casting the fly rod tough. But I resorted back to my faithful rod, real and spinner bait and caught my first bass of 2022. He was only about a pound but it’s always fun.

2 Likes

Great intuition on her part Clay. Knew you were racking your brain and not helping yourself health wise in that chair all day.
But dang she knew the fish were biting is main thing.

1 Like

She knew I would enjoy it whether or not I caught any or not. No bad days on the river.

1 Like

Sounds like maybe the best catch you’ve made was the lady telling you to go fishing. WPS

2 Likes

This entire exchange exemplifies why we on this board are blessed. Thankfulness is good for the soul and the body.

1 Like

Clay,

I suffered back pain for years and still do to some extent but it is much more manageable now. Have you ever thought about a standing desk. 75% of my neck and back pain went away within days once I I got one at work. You can move between standing and sitting. I will never work at a desk again where I don’t have the option of standing.

1 Like

I hear more and more about standing desks and know people who use them. Good thought here.

1 Like

There are no bad days on the river. Obviously I’m lucky.

I had planned to fish the last two hours of sun light today. Weather is turning worse. But after finishing my work Jean Ann sort of asked me to drive her to the Target in Branson. She does not see great at night after a cornea transplant a few years ago. So I sort of volunteered to do it just as she was hinting at it. No one needs to fish every day. My treat was Chick-fil-A milk shake and nuggets for the drive back to Norfork.

1 Like

Must not be a Target at Harrison or Mountain Home?

Branson is closest. A little under two hours.

Fayetteville Target is 2:40. Little Rock 2:50. Me and Rosie (age 13 lab) stayed in truck. We listened to George Strait.

2 Likes

No surprise there. :grinning: