OT: Slow sports time - Favorite Movies?

If the Mods want to kill this I am not offended. Not sports related at all!

Since it is kind of a slow time for sports over the next few days, what are your favorite movies of all time? (Not necessarily what you consider the best movies of all time, but your favorites)

My top 10 Favorite Movies:

The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
History of The World, Part I
The Sound of Music
Casablanca
It’s A Wonderful Life
North By Northwest
Groundhog Day
Young Frankenstein
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

Honorable Mention:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Star Wars (IV)
The Bridge Over the River Kwai
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to the Future
The Sixth Sense
Airplane
Up
Ironman
The Goonies
Of Brother Where Art Thou?
A Few Good Men
Independence Day
The Sting
When Harry Met Sally
Trading Places
My Cousin Vinny

I know there are ones I love that I didn’t think of.

McFarland, USA

Green Mile

Blind Side

Caddy Shack

Animal House

Saving Private Ryan

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Shawshank Redemption

Deliverance
High Noon
Airplane
Secretariat
True Grit (the original with John Wayne and Glen Campbell)
Christmas Vacation
Grease
The Out-of-Towners (the original, not the remake)
The Searchers
O Brother, Where Art Thou

Honorable mention: Greater

Braveheart
The Edge
As Good As It Gets
Animal House
Bucket List
Hunt For Red October
The Passion
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
Gladiator
Caddy Shack

In no particular order:

Tombstone
The Usual Suspects
O Brother Where Art Thou
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Green Mile
Big Jake
Hell or High Water
The Shootist
Independence Day
Bull Durham

Legends of the Fall
Meet Joe Black
Shawshank
Any superhero movie
It’s a Wonderful Life
The Godfather
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Forrest Gump
Many many more

I forgot Elf

I lean heavily toward westerns and in fact have a collection of them:
The Searchers
High Noon
The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance
The Big Country
Shane
3:10 To Yuma (Original)
Monte Walsh
My Darling Clementine
Red River
The Shootist
Conegher (with Sam Elliott)
Hombre

In no particular order:

The Usual Suspects - A Master class is suspense and intrigue. I’m well aware that Kevin Spacey got caught up in the “Me too” mess this past year, as well he should have. But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s a brilliant actor, and this role was perhaps his best. Maybe the best ending to a movie (where so many promising films fall short) that I can recall.

The Wizard of Oz - Not much to be said about this all-time classic that everybody doesn’t already know.

The Godfather - One of the first brutally honest and realistic films about mob power produced by Hollywood. Brilliant cast and performances.

Airplane - Totally goofy and a laugh-a-minute. May not hold up so well for younger viewers - humor is almost always best enjoyed on a timely basis. But for those of us who remember seeing it as a first-run movie, the laughs still hold up.

Fargo - Off-beat, original and perfectly presented. Wonderful acting, great story-telling.

The Notebook - If a man or woman over the age of 40 can watch this entire movie and not have a tear in their eye at the end, I’d like to meet them. Beautiful film.

No Country for Old Men - Gritty, almost hard-to-watch at points. A superb Coen Brothers masterpiece.

Napoleon Dynamite - Another off-beat selection. I have found that the world is divided into two factions; those that really, really love the movie, and those that don’t get it at all. Count me among group #1.

40 Year Old Virgin - To me, this is Steve Carrel’s best work (although he is now starting to turn in some good "straight’ performances). Just a funny movie that I always enjoy watching parts of when it pops up on the TV schedule.

Saving Private Ryan - For me, not having served in war time, this movie’s opening was a stunning, in-your-face depiction of the terror and chaos that D-Day at Normandy truly was. I already had a very healthy respect for “our greatest generation” before viewing this film, but it was elevated even higher afterward. It led to some discussions with my WWII vet dad (who landed at Normandy a few weeks after D-Day) that we hadn’t had before that - for which I am grateful, especially now that he is gone.

Schindler’s List - Gripping tale of personal risk on behalf of others in Hitler’s Germany. Beatifically crafted and acted film. Really moved me the first time I saw it.

Manhunter - This is a personal favorite that very few saw in theaters. It is, in fact, based on the novel Red Dragon from the Hannibal Lector series which gave us Silence of the Lambs, etc. more than a decade after Manhunter was released in the mid-80’s. A pre-CSI William Petersen stars in this version, and I’ll admit that a more recent viewing left me feeling that the music and wardrobe had a decidedly “Miami Vice” feeling to them - not surprising, given the release date of the film. But it still holds up, IMO, and I like it a lot more than the sequel to SOTL (“Red Dragon”) which was released almost 20 years later.

Broken Flowers - an “under the radar” Bill Murray film that I stumbled into and liked a great deal. Unlike his earlier efforts (Caddyshack, Stripes, etc), this is a much more subdued and subtle role for Murray. Think “Lost in Translation” Murray, but with a more comedic slant as per the subject material.

Dragon Tatoo Trilogy (“Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”, “The Girl Who Played with Fire” and “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest”)…the Original series, with sub-titles - Kept hearing about the Dragon Tatoo movie so finally ordered it from Netflix a few years back - before the American version had been made and released. Didn’t realize at the time that it was foreign with English sub-titles. Normally, not something I would have watched. But I found out that after a few minutes, my mind easily adjusted to reading the dialogue and then scanning the action, so I didn’t really think about it after that. Riveting action/suspense movie. Was thrilled to find out that there were two more movie sequels in the trilogy, and they all delivered.

Searching for Sugarman (Documentary) - If you haven’t heard anything about this one, I won’t spoil it for you. Fantastic true story of a great musician I had never heard of (and that in itself is shocking, as the tale is told) and what happened to him. Superb watch.

Up Series (Documentary) - This is something else I kind of stumbled into. Read a list that included the first of the series (Seven Up) as one of the top documentaries of all time. Did not realize it was the first of a series until watching it. The premise was to get a group of 7 year-olds, in 1964, and interview them; then, to catch up with them every 7 years afterward for updates. As I am a child more or less of the same age group, I found all of the films to be fascinating, as I could relate to the times the kids were going through at various stages, and the world they were in at those points corresponded to the world I experienced those same changes at, approximately. I highly, highly recommend this series for anyone in their late 50’s and over. Hard for me to predict how interesting it would be to someone much younger than that.

Christmas Vacation - Best Chevy Chase movie ever. A must watch every Xmas season.

Nebraska - Great balance of humor and poignant moments. You’ll LOL a few times, and choke up at others.

The Game - IMO, an under-appreciated suspense/thriller that will keep you guessing right up until the end. Great cast, headlined by Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

God’s Not Dead
Fireproof
Tombstone
Christmas Vacation
Greater
Blind Side
Secretariat
Friday Night Lights
Field of Dreams
Hoosiers
Major League
Caddy Shack
The Lincoln Conspiracy
JFK

Too many to list, but I will put some of my favs:

1. Lonesome Dove
  2. Patton
  3. The Godfather
    4.Shawshank Redemption
    5.The Fugitive
    6.Young Frankenstein
  4. No Country for Old Men
    8.Raiders of the Lost Ark
  5. Animal House
    10.Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  6. L.A. Confidential
  7. Ben Hur
  8. The Last Picture Show
  9. Blazing Saddles
  10. Dirty Harry
  11. Good Will Hunting

You minded me of Secretariat. Definitely one of my favorites.

Also on my list. Could have also included “Seabiscuit”.

High Plains Drifter
Dirty Hairy
The Shining
The Deer Hunter
Apollo 13
True Grit
Enternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Truman Show
Apocalypse Now
East of Eden
Cool Hand Luke

I’m a Robin Williams fan. He had a lot of good moves. One of the funniest was The Birdcage. :lol:

Wow, I am past my time I guess.

No mention of Citizen Kane, Battleground, Gone With the Wind, I did see Red River.

I forgot Good Morning, Vietnam and Broadcast News.

The Longest Day
Giant
Shane
Big Jake
The Good, Bad, and Ugly
Hud
The Hustler - Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie, and George C. Scott all rendered Superior performances.
Bridge Over the River Kwai
Breakfast at Tiffany’s

I’m a fan of many, many of the movies on many of these lists. Some that I loved that aren’t mentioned:

The Great Escape

Seven Days in Utopia

A River Runs Through It (not really a great movie, but the book is just fabulous and so I include the movie because it is a major deal for the fly fishing industry).

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly (it’s mentioned by someone else, but I have to include it)

A Bridge Too Far

Pearl Harbor (both of them)

The Battle of Midway

Windtalkers

Patton

Yes, I love about any war movie. I tend to want to watch more of the Pacific theater films, but I love all of them. I had a good friend who served in WWII with the Seabees. His unit – called combat engineers – prepared the beaches for the landings at the major battles that took Tarawa, Tinian, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. One of the few front page stories I wrote for the Tulsa World came when he was given the Medal of Honor almost 40 years later for carrying a nearly dead marine officer from the jungle back to the landing craft. The man he saved later became one of the highest ranking generals at the Pentagon. He hunted until he found my friend. It took a lot of research for the general to figure out the man who saved him. I got to be a part of that sequence of events that was a surprise party and got to write the story. Now that was fun.

Eldorado
Big Jake
Chisum
Jeremiah Johnson
Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiving
Young Guns
The Ten Commandments
Rocky
Forrest Gump

Go Hogs!