OT need help from streaming gurus

I’ve been streaming on ROKU with UVerse provider for about 6 months. Streaming ESPN3/SECN+ everything has been perfect until 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now any motion, passing a basketball pitching in baseball is very jumpy. Like it’s moving in frames. Nothing has changed in provider, browser, computer, wifi, (also UVerse) TV, and ROKU unit. I’ve tested download speeds, still 75-100. I use Edge and Chrome browsers (jumpy on both). Only one cell phone and 2 TVs using wifi. I’m streaming to a wired TV.

Can anyone tell me what would probably be the culprit causing this awful frame by frame jumping? If it’s probably a ROKU problem, I’d just go buy another ROKU device and remote.

Thanks

Other than me using safari we appear to have the same setup and I’m getting a perfect picture. I would try my tv provider…if nothing else they should point you in the right direction for help. Good luck!!

My download speed is - 200 and I’ve had the same issue with Razorback streamed Razorback games the last 3 weeks, baseball and women’s basketball

One of my Roku boxes has been buffering and getting jerky on the Hog baseball games For the past few weeks. But it didn’t jerk on every streaming channel. And on the other Roku, the game is smooth and not jerky.

Both are on wireless. No problem with a Netflix, Hulu, etc. Only ESPN. And the jerky stuff is on the newer, more powerful box. I can’t figure it out, and it’s driving me crazy. I hate to switch them, but I guess I’ll have to try that.

Just commiserating. No answer.

And, the game from Alabama was jerky tonight. So, I guess it’s not a problem on the Arkansas broadcast end.

Exactly the same for me, and approximately the same time frame. I did try to stream on ESPN and ESPN2 channels and it wasn’t perfect, but was just slightly jerky occasionally, and much better than the SECN+/ESPN3 programming. Is your TV provider also UVerse, or have you cut the cord completely? If you are not using UVerse, then that may narrow the problem down to the ROKU device, or something specific between SECN+/ESPN3 and the particular ROKU device. I also have no problem with Netflix through my ROKU, just ESPN, and primarily just their streaming only channels.

I had a jumpy picture once in last 2 weeks! It only last a few minutes.
I have 4 TV’s. 2 were streaming Netflix’s, I was streaming the game and the only was on a kids game when I had the issue.
I have no idea what caused it!

This is the kind of stuff that makes me hesitant to cut the cord. I currently pay a fortune to get AT&T fiber internet (for work), but still get buffering, or herky-jerky, from time to time when streaming. Can’t stand watching a game when the feed sticks.

Since I am technically challenged, I won’t be much help but here goes anyway.

My AT&T wifi modem occasionally has to be reset when weird things start happening, like my cell phone no longer being connected, or the Roku TV streaming starts stuttering. I unplug it, plug it back in and everything is fine until the next time.

There could be problems where the streaming signal originates, problems with the system that delivers it to your house, problems with the wifi system in your house that sends it to your steaming device, or problems with your TV. All of these except maybe the TV, can fluctuate or waiver in their signal strength for no apparent reason.

One thing I know for certain, once I got past the learning curve on this cord cutting & streaming thing, I have fewer problems than I had with Uverse and way fewer problems than I had with DirectTV satellite. I get way more programs that I like than I ever did with cable or satellite and am paying about half what I used to pay. Plus, if something new and better comes along, I am not under a contract and can switch immediately.

Exactly the same for me, and approximately the same time frame. I did try to stream on ESPN and ESPN2 channels and it wasn’t perfect, but was just slightly jerky occasionally, and much better than the SECN+/ESPN3 programming. Is your TV provider also UVerse, or have you cut the cord completely? If you are not using UVerse, then that may narrow the problem down to the ROKU device, or something specific between SECN+/ESPN3 and the particular ROKU device. I also have no problem with Netflix through my ROKU, just ESPN, and primarily just their streaming only channels.

[/quote]

I am using Cox Cable internet. Plenty fast. DTV still for provider.

Same today I have a smart TV with the ESPN app and on another TV a ROKU. Both are missing frames making game look jerky.

One thing to double check: make sure that you are not using too many devices at one time. Each additional device takes away from the others.

Here is an article that might help you:

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/netflix … u-channel/”>https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/netflix-adds-speed-test-feature-roku-channel/</LINK_TEXT>

I cut the cord a few years ago and couldn’t stand it because many of the issues you mentioned plus Buffering. It was the streaming provider (direct tv now) not my internet or hardware. I went back to satellite (they lowered my price to get me back) and kept high speed internet, with latest panorama modem and now No more problems and I watch lots of games on espn app, especially softball and baseball. I pay $185 for satellite and internet, but I’m sticking with it. My wife can also dvr all those stupid reality shows she likes. I understand others have had succes cutting cord but I didn’t. I also understand everyone’s needs and price limits vary.

I think it’s a Roku problem. I noticed the same thing on mine when I got back from vacation. I switched to my Amazon Fire and it is streaming just fine.

My guess is that there is a bug with the ESPN app on Roku. We developed the WholeHog app a few years ago and it wasn’t until then that I realized you create an app for each streaming device. My advice - and I’m going to do the same - is to email customer service for ESPN and Roku, and detail the problem. That is the only way it is going to be addressed.

I did not like DirectTvNow either. I switched and really like YouTubeTV and Philo as a combination that gets me everything my wife and I ever watched on DirectTV dish (all of the Little Rock local channels, SECN, History, HGTV, etc.) and half the price and I was amazed with all of the extra channels that come with my Roku box. My wife loves the Ozzie & Harriet channel (they even have the old commercials which are hilarious), the Andy Griffith Channel, etc. Everyone of their re-runs anytime you want one. The streaming channels are getting better at a rapid rate. I just noticed that YouTubeTV (the unlimited DVR keeping all shows for nine months) when I want to record one of the basketball tournament games, it now asks me if I want to record just that one game, all of either teams games, or all of the NCAA tournament games on every channel they are on. That is way more sophisticated than any DVR I have ever used including UVerse, DirectTV, Comcast, etc.

After you get through the contract with the low rate for the first year and the rip you off rate for the second, I bet they will have really improved by then. It probably is just a matter of time before the big boys find a way to run off the competition and start charging high rates with long contracts for streaming like they do for cable and dish now. Until that time, it looks like a winner to me.

I don’t think it’s ROKU per se, but one or more particular Roku devices. One respondent in this thread has 2 different ROKU devices and one works fine on ESPN3/SECN+ and the other device jumps on those channels. I discovered today that my “jumping” ROKU device worked perfectly when I streamed ESPNU to watch the softball game. It seems now like it is not all ESPN channels, but only ESPN3/Watch espn/SECN+, the streaming only, ESPN channels.

I tried streaming a Hog baseball game about two weeks ago on the ESPN app using my ROKU streaming stick. Was jerky like you described. Switched to streaming it on my iPad using the Watch ESPN app, and it was fine.

I have streamed every available baseball game this year on a Roku and no problems at all. Sounds like God might be punishing you for something to me. :slight_smile: