OT: Meatloaf dead at age 74

I guess now he will finally know if the image of paradise that he saw from the dashboard lights live up to the image he gets or doesn’t get of the afterlife. Loved his music growing up. Still play his Bat Out Of Hell album quite a bit.

4 Likes

He had an incredible voice. Every now and then a rare pearl of talent is added to our world, sadly the other side of that equation always balances out. I hope to stick around just to see what comes next. Sadly, the saber rattling from Washington and many other parts of the world threatens our very being.
Trade and commerce is the cornerstone for peace.

As much as I enjoyed his music and even the icon that he became I think he only ever managed to get 1 number one song and that was towards the end of his career. Much like the Grateful Dead… huge following, good music, and only 1 song to ever make #1.

But there ain’t no Coupe deVille hiding in the bottom of a Cracker Jack Box…

Phil Rizzuto’s only appearance in a hit song to my knowledge.

1 Like

I hate to hear that. I also have the album and it never gets old. I’ll miss him.

He (and his music) were great in “Rocky Horror Picture Show”. I got drug to that movie a couple of times when it was showing every single week-end at midnight in local theaters. It was always shown at a theater with a large stage in front of the screen. Audience members would get on stage, in full costume, and act out each scene. It has to be the most viewed movie, in a movie theater, of all time. It was going strong throughout the 80s and 90s with the high school and college kids. It was crazy!

RHPS was definitely an audience participation movie. I think I saw it at the Heights Theater in LR, which did not have a stage, but toast, toilet paper, rice and other objects were thrown at the appropriate points and other silliness ensued.

He sold over 100 million albums. Man had some game

It was playing almost every weekend for the longest time at the Malco Twin in Fort Smith as the Midnight Movie. We’d cruise Grand Avenue all night and then make our way to the theater and have one hell of a time. I knew all the things to bring and things to yell and say… good times. I bet we saw it 40-50 times over a couple of years. Years later while at the U of A, I helped get a show of it put on at night in the Greek Theater on a big screen we set up. That turned out pretty well too, but gotta say cleanup was a real bear afterwards.

That, I can believe. I seem to remember water pistols being involved too, which wouldn’t make the cleanup any easier (wet toilet paper and rice).

Water pistols, newspapers, toast, rice, toilet paper, umbrellas, and more things than my old memory can dig out now.

While my memory may be poor on the things to bring and say, one thing is burned forever in my brain. How to do the Time Warp.

I have a copy of the movie, I may just have to dig it out and watch it again. This is bringing up too many good old memories.

Did pretty well in the movie business… going to be missed.

Beavis & Butthead were such big fans of his!

1 Like

Meatloaf was a high school kid in Dallas when JFK was assassinated. He told a great story about that day. I can’t remember all of it but he was in the middle of some of it. Sad day.

From the obituary I read, he was at Love Field in the crowd to see JFK land and deplane. He got a glimpse of JFK. It wasn’t until later when he got home that he found out JFK had been assassinated shortly after he had seen him.

1 Like

I never saw the movie, it its entirety…just snippets here and there over the years. But I clearly remember that it was HUGE when I moved to Dallas fresh out of college in early 1976. I don’t remember what theater it was (or if that theater is still around), but it was on every weekend for midnight shows for - it seemed like - a couple of years. Maybe longer than that.

I thought about going, but the whole throwing things at the screen, etc. just wasn’t my scene. That said, millions and millions had a great time, I’m sure, and fond memories of it today.

And if he enjoyed being in the movie, and the fans enjoyed watching it…well…“two out of three ain’t bad”.

RIP

Meat Loaf actually started out as an actor/singer in musical theater. I believe he starred in the stage version of RHPS and signed on in the same role when they decided to make a movie of it.

BTW, it was in the theater where he met Jim Steinman, who wrote all the songs for “Bat Out of Hell”. It was a side project for them but turned out to be a magical combination. Steinman had no experience in writing rock songs, he was strictly a writer of musical theater prior to that, which is why the tone of all the songs sound so dramatic and theatrical (almost to a fault). It was big songs with Meat Loaf’s big voice, worked out well for them.

Also, they shopped that first album around for almost a year but no record labels were interested. The songs didn’t fit FM radio format in the 70’s (too long and dramatic), so they didn’t see a way to release a single and get a hit. After 40 million albums sold, wonder if some record label execs look back and rue the deal they had in their hands and turned away.

Yeah, but it’s a heck of a song, a nice rock opera.

It’s also just a fun song to ham it up to and sing :laughing:

Bat Out Of Hell album was a favorite at parties I went to in late late 70’s & early 80’s.
I did go see RHPS in LR as well in 1980 or 81.
Amazing entertainer in an odd way.
RIP

Only ONE! How many WERE NOT even successful in this industry? And how many NEVER had a # 1? Kinda like in sports, Oh, he only won ONE NC! LMAO