OT: gymnastics question

May be a dumb question, but…

How does a 9.9 in the SEC compare to a 9.9 in the Olympics? Or even high school and club meets?

Is it all relative? Or would a 9.9 at the SEC meet get a 9.9 at the Olympics or World Championships?

Olympics gymnastics has changed its scoring. They have the 10.0 for execution and a separate score for difficulty, and the two are combined. So a girl could get a 10.0 for execution of a relatively easy routine but lose to somebody with a small mistake on a much tougher routine

Jeff gave a good answer to how the elite gymnasts are scored. One thing to remember is that each routine is assigned a start value. I’m not sure if that varies by level, but I doubt it. So when Kennedy Hambrick performs a floor exercise, it is based on 10 points. If the start value is less, then each deduction is taken from that lower start value.

Right, I recall the talking heads mentioning Friday night that one of the Bama girls’ starting value was below 10.0 on one event.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.