OT: Going back home

I’ll spend the next couple of days in my hometown of Waldron. I’m going to back to bury my grandmother, who died last week in a nursing home four days after testing positive for coronavirus. She was 88. I’ll be a pallbearer along with my brother and some of her other grandchildren. Her funeral will be in Waldron but she’ll be buried along with my grandfather at the national cemetery in Fort Smith.

It seems the older I get, the more somber the trips back home become. My parents moved away from there shortly after I left for college, and I don’t have much family or many friends left there anymore, so the trips back are typically for goodbyes.

There won’t be many people at the funeral because of the virus. Outside of the immediate family, most have called to say they don’t feel comfortable making the trip. Even my uncle won’t be able to be there because he lives outside the country and, from what I’m told, would have to quarantine upon his arrival here, and again upon his arrival back home. I’m sure it will be kind of surreal, just like the past week has been. My mom and her sister were able to see my grandmother on the day she was tested, but no one else from the family saw her for the final five months of her life. When I heard how bad nursing homes were being affected at the outset of the virus, I had a terrible feeling it would eventually reach my grandmother.

We have experienced both ends of life this year. Our daughter was born March 17, the week after everything began shutting down. It was just my wife, me and my mother-in-law in the hospital for Linnie’s birth. By the time we were checking out our hospital was only allowing the father to come into the hospital with the mother; the plus-one option had been eliminated.

1 Like

Prayers going up.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother Matt. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Safe travels!

Sincere condolences offered for you and your family.

Hang in there. I know she was special to you.

Many prayers for you and family Matt.

Prayers Matt…so sorry about your loss.

Prayers

Matt, I’m real sorry to hear about your grandmother. I’m sure she loved you very much and vise versa. And I’m sure you made her very proud.

Try to focus on those things. This virus is no fun. It sucks.

God bless you and your family, Matt.

Trips home are routine when we’re younger but become more poignant as time passes. It’s so hard to lose grandparents you treasure. She’ll always be with you.

I pray for your safe travels and quick healing.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Grandparents are very special.

Grandma’s are special. I never knew my Grandad’s they were both gone by the time I was born. Sorry to hear about your loss. Prayers for you and entire family!

Sending the prayer gods ur way buddy!!

Sad time under any circumstance but the loss of precious time in the last months of a loved one’s life makes it even more heartbreaking. Sorry for your loss, Matt.
You contribute greatly to this board.

Thoughts and prayers to you and yours, Matt…

Sorry for your loss Matt. I know what you mean about only going back to say goodbye. It seems I’ve spent all of 2020 either holed up or driving down to Arkansas to say goodbye to someone. Lost my dad 6 weeks ago and was not able to give him the big send off that he would have wanted. You do the best you can under the circumstances and understand that the reunion will be much more glorious than the goodbye anyway.

Aloha Matt,

My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

GHG!

Heart felt condolances for your loss - may her memory be a comfort and instruction to you as you journey life’s pathway

I appreciate the notes. She had a great memorial service.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss, Matt