Ot,,,fly fishing

hey clay…you give fly fishing lessons?will be moved into Mountain View by the middle of September and the wife will want me out of her hair sometimes…know that you’re just up the road a few miles in Norfork…love to have coffee and learn the sport…complete novice so i guess i have no bad habits to break

I’m not really a guide/teacher. But I can point you in the right directions and make sure you know how to get your line/tippet rigged right. There are good resources on-line on knot tying. And, lots of literature on casting. I can definitely take some time to meet with you. I’d point you to someone else for true on the river training.

1 Like

Yeah, there really is a lot to it if you want to do it right, get to know a river system, and actually catch fish. You can spend a lifetime honing your fly fishing skills. But I’d heartily recommend taking it up. The White River system is bad ass. I really miss having access to it. Talk to Clay, hire guides, watch videos, and get the right equipment. Equipment is one of the keys I’ve found. There are plenty of places to get equipment too (hello Amazon, but local fly shops are really much better). Actually, buying the equipment is almost as fun as the fishing!

1 Like

Gotta have stuff that jingle when you walk to look and feel like a fly fisher.

1 Like

thanks for the responses…got the news that the roof is going on this week;portable buildings to be delivered and painting is going on…after the "honey do"list i will be looking into everything that’s been suggested…probably the only native Arkansan who never hunted or fished a day in their life

Not one day? Fly fishing is pretty technical compared to lake fishing for bass and other fish.

You might wade off into bass fishing first. Bass fishing is great, too. Beaver, Bull Shoals, Table Rock. Beautiful lakes with good bass fishing. Get a guide first, regardless where you go. I really enjoy bass fishing and it’s about all I got down here in Texas. If you like it, you can get a boat that your wife might also like. Never a bad day fishing, no matter how you do it.

Yea I’m an avid bass fisherman myself. The great thing about it, you can use artificial or live baits. I can fish for about anything but haven’t mastered the fly rod technique yet. Im in the trees to much, lol.

There are good guides on Little Red. And you are close to White River, too.

My son in law (Kristopher) is great with newbies.

1 Like

You are being led right here. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and to get a good guide from time to time (Clay’s son-in-law is as good as it gets). Tell your guide you are new and what you would like to accomplish. Do not try to impress them with your “knowledge”. They enjoy teaching and introducing the sport if they are good. They figure if they do a good job, they will have a new client (don’t forget to tip if they earn it).

Arkansas is a fishing heaven for all types. of fishing. I love to fish small creeks with a lite flyrod for 8-10 inch fish and I love to take big Northerns in Canada with heavy gear or big silvers in Alaska. It is all good!

One other thing. Enjoy the adventure. Don’t get caught up in how many or how big. If you are out enjoying nature and having a good time, that is all that matters. Took me a long time to learn that. I remember my Grandad having a great time taking small perch (he called them “little dilleys”) on a popping bug. He got it!

I like hearing Jim explain how to enjoy things. He has figured it out.

I’ve gone with him to a high lake in Colorado and lost sight of him for 30 minutes. Eventually found him with his rain jacket rolled up for a pillow and he was taking a nap. Completely relaxed.

Almost Zen-like. Got to enjoy the trip and learn to appreciate every hour we have. Nature is immeasurable
in the good it offers to us.

One of life’s gifts for me was to see each of my grands catch their first fish. I captured most of those with pictures and videos. Special.

It took me a long time to get to this point. I did a lot of reading. Had some good mentors (and Gage was a good one.) I would go to fly shop in Fayetteville owned by Bill Tennison. I asked questions and bought stuff from him. I took fly tying class there. I bought books there. I’d read them, then fish awhile, then read them again. Eventually things began to make sense. Orvis has some beginner books that are excellent.

I made lots of mistakes and over thought some things.

Now I can go about anywhere and figure it out. Probably catch a few without a guide if I can wade in water that is not too swift.

I’m to the point that one of my favorite thing is to help someone else who I see struggling (if they are not jerks). Kindness to strangers has been slow to come to me. I was more prone to stay clear of people on river for fear of messing them up.

Now I’ll speak first, visit and offer flies, especially in my home waters if I sense they are new to the sport or have traveled a great distance.

As long as they aren’t shorthorns?

I have helped LSU folks. I’ve helped Sooners. If I helped a Texas fan, I didn’t know it and it was by mistake. And I mean that in the most sincere way possible.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.