OT -- College Football Rules Question

I just saw the end of the Chiefs-Falcons game. The Falcons scored a TD to take a one point lead with four minutes left and elected to go for two to try and build a three point lead. On the two-point conversion, Kansas City intercepted the ball in the end zone and returned it 100 yards for a two-point safety. Would the rule be the same in college football on an interception on a conversion like that? I thought it would be a TD for the Chiefs. I know that certain kicks can be blocked and returned for two points. Maybe it is the term safety that is throwing me off on that play. I don’t remember ever hearing a two-point return like that called a safety.

The rule is the same in college: two points on a fumble, interception or kick return on a conversion try of any kind.

Doesnt matter what the offensive team is trying on PAT, defense gets two points for taking it to the other end zone. Florida scored two points yesterday against Bama by blocking the extra point kick try, then returning 100 yards to other end.

I think they didn’t know what to call it for a few years, then settled on safety or defensive safety. NCAA had the two-point return rule before NFL did, by the way. And yeah, if we do that to VT in the bowl it will be two points.

Yes. Same rule. I believe that was the rule in college first. (Like you couldn’t go for 2 in the NFL for years). I have never heard it called a “Safety” but, 2 points, yes.

I was calling it a Pick Two today. :smiley:

Kansas St did that to us in the Cotton Bowl. It was a big momentum changer. They blocked a PAT & returned it for 2 points. As I recall, we were about to go up 17-0, but the failed PAT & their return made it 16-2. Then we fumbled just before halftime & they scored a TD giving us a 16-9 halftime lead. I could be wrong on the actual scores, but we had a solid lead that shrunk subtantially just before halftime. Fortunately, we went on to win pretty handily.

Regardless, even though it’s only a 3 point swing, those returned PAT’s sure take a lot of air out of a touchdown.