OT: Christmas lights

Do you put Christmas lights on your house? If so, how into it do you get?

I wasn’t going to put up lights this year, but my oldest kids, 4 and 2, guilted me into it tonight. They wanted our house to be lit up like some others on the cul-de-sac. Now we have big, multi-colored bulbs on the evergreen trees in front of our house, and netted lights over some of the hedges. It’s not real pretty, but they think it’s beautiful.

12 Likes

Good job Matt, at Halloween my 7 year old granddaughter guilted me into “more”stuff, said our house was not very good haha, now she wants tons of lights, my grand usually wins out

3 Likes

I put lights on the house and decorate a tree out front. Also hang a prelit wreath

I’ll be putting them up soon and will share some pics when complete

2 Likes

I did when I could get up and down a ladder two times when I was a young guy in my 40’s and early 50’s. Now, no. And I won’t pay a couple grand for someone else to do it.

3 Likes

Matt I hire professionals. They put your lights up and then take them down. They store your lights and then put them up the next season.

3 Likes

Good for you Matt!

1 Like

I used to put up lights, outdoor trees, reindeer, etc. front and back, courtyards, patios. The temperature changed around my house. The nearby airport called and asked me to tone it down because it was distracting pilots trying to find the correct flight path. So now we do mostly inside with a lighted wreath on the door. Happy Holidays to all!

2 Likes

We do a little. There is a railing around the porch onto which I put lights. Don’t have to do ladders, etc. and it looks pretty nice. Grandkids and other kids around like it and that is what matters.

2 Likes

Yep, about 25 net lights on the shrubs and Japanese maples out front, around 3000 ft of string lights on the side and backyard. 12 wreaths on the windows on the front of the house, front door lwreath, garland around the front door, and lite packages on the porch. We have 8 Christmas trees inside the house, and a full size animated Grinch. As you can see, the wife loves Christmas and goes all out, I just set it up, keep my mouth shut, and accept it.

5 Likes

Our Southwest LR neighborhood back in the 80’s was big on houses being lit up big time. I was the lone holdout on our street in joining the lighting party. I got lots of (good natured) grief about not participating. One day I strung one strand of lights across the front of the house. That night we invited the neighbors over for a lighting ceremony. At least 20 showed up. We served hot chocolate and Little Debbie’s and dang Christmas carols. Then I plugged in the one strand of lights. They kept waiting for more lights to come on. I said “that’s my idea of Christmas lights”. We had a good laugh and that strand became a Christmas tradition.

5 Likes

Aloha Matt,
Yes Sir!
Can’t believe your children are growing up so fast!
Thrilled you are making Christmas exciting and special for your family. As a parent we strive to bless our children among many things, special memories which they will appreciate as they get older and later in life, replicate your actions with your grand children.
Every day is a teaching moment with your precious children. And celebrating Christmas with decorations and music is one which will create lifetime joyous memories which they will always cherish. Merry Christmas!
UA…Campus of Champions

That’s my situation too. Haven’t gotten around to doing the lights; my GF wants to do it herself.

Them dang Christmas carols can drive you crazy. I’d like to go back in time and put 12 rounds in Frederic Austin.

1 Like

Posters from Pine Bluff may remember Scrubby Watson putting an entire life-size Santa, sleigh and reindeer, which he made himself, on his garage/workshop roof (23rd & Poplar) at Christmas. Always a highlight.

1 Like

Little Rock — Geese Ausbie’s house off 12th and University. Magical.

1 Like

We have lights in Japanese maple year round. There are some string lights from the garage across yard to a pine. Year round. Jean Ann will add a few strands soon. She wants to add some lighted deer in the woods. Don’t know what our real herd will think.

I remember Scrubby’s display and also Geese’s display. Both were a tradition to see during the Christmas season.

I haven’t been in years, but a trip to Honor Heights Park in Muskogee was always a Christmas tradition. Do they still do those lights?

1 Like

I received a gag gift one Xmas of the Charlie Brown Xmas tree with one single ornament on it. That little tree became one of our biggest Xmas traditions when grandkids got old enough to understand it was Charlie’s brown tree. The tradition is to eat little Debbie Xmas cakes and straight egg nog for them when kids set it up.

As to lights, use a service , younger person like Matt if available and avoid ladders at all costs. I have four friends injured seriously on ladder falls–two were Xmas lights.

2 Likes

My wife loves having lights on our house. This year so far, all I have out is the lights on the house itself. I have net lights for the bushes (but I think some of them have quit working). I also have a big Frosty the Snowman made out of a piece of plywood that I need to get out (along with the spot light that goes on him).

We are home this weekend for a change so maybe I will get it all out.