OT-British study predicts 12-18 mo. shutdown to avoid millions of deaths ----

It doesn’t look like it will be over by Easter.

I knew that Easter goal was unrealistic, but a 12-18 mo shutdown is chilling. I can’t believe we can’t get some sort of handle on it before then. Regardless, I’m no scientist, so I guess we’ll all find out together.

They seem to be saying that you can’t release the shutdown until a vaccine is available because it will all start back up again and that is the time required for the vaccine to be developed.

A 12-18 month shutdown would devastate the entire world economy. It would be worse than the disease itself. No food, no jobs…chaos. I suspect we will get on with our lives in 2-3 months with some major changes. I am 72, so I am at a higher risk, but you can’t stop the world for this. We are going to have to make adjustments as we move forward. We will fight through this and come out strong.

1 Like

Lord know I am no doctor, and no, I don’t think this will be over by Easter, but I don’t think we are going to see a “shut down” for anywhere near 12 months. Dealing with the effects for that long? You bet. It does depend on how you define “shut down.” (I haven’t read the article yet, but I will)

Not happening Dr Doom. :sunglasses:

Far from being an expert, but I think dealing with the virus while opening up the economy will have be the norm at some point. We all know devastating 2008 was to the economy. I think that could be a bump in the road compared to what we’re facing here.

2 Likes

If I had to make a choice, I’d choose to work under the 1.3% chance I could die from the coronavirus, rather than the 99% chance I’d starve to death with no money and no available food.

2 Likes

But, but, wait, What’s this? Imperial College Expert backtracks? Read slowly please.

Do you think “this might be a very fluid situation” might be a bit of an understatement?!?!?!?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.